2017 Gun Legislation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was just poking around,

SB 11

Authored Today by Brecheen

Turns over SDA Firearms licensing to the OSBI. County Sherriffs are out
Opens carry permits to non state residents
Reduces duration to only 5 years on a permit, instead of 5 or 10
Reduces fees to 25$ resident/50$ non resident for both initial and renewal
Fingerprinting is no longer necessary
Permit issue is based on a standard NICS check, rather than a full blown background check
Permit issue is no longer discretionary. If you pass the NICS they shall issue the permit

Like this one

Needs one more thing - the permit has to meet the ATF requirement to be used as an immediate alternative to the pre-purchase NICS check and the OSBI has to be compelled in the law to maintain that status. Back in the 90s, the OK SDA permit worked that way and needs to return to that, IMO. It will probably require the fingerprints to meet the ATF requirement.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Needs one more thing - the permit has to meet the ATF requirement to be used as an immediate alternative to the pre-purchase NICS check and the OSBI has to be compelled in the law to maintain that status. Back in the 90s, the OK SDA permit worked that way and needs to return to that, IMO. It will probably require the fingerprints to meet the ATF requirement.
OK lost that ability by extending the license to 10 years. Shortening it to 5 meets ATF's guidelines.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SB11 text is here:

https://legiscan.com/OK/text/SB11/2017

I only got a snippet off the radio today as I was driving away from the city today and could barely pick it up but what I think I heard was that the FBI NICS mandates a 5 year max. WTH? If true where does that come from? And why in hades would a state submit to that? If NICS is to be used by the state as an accept/reject criteria isn't that the state's business?

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SB11 text is here:

I only got a snippet off the radio today as I was driving away from the city today and could barely pick it up but what I think I heard was that the FBI NICS mandates a 5 year max. WTH? If true where does that come from? And why in hades would a state submit to that? If NICS is to be used by the state as an accept/reject criteria isn't that the state's business?

+1 I agree----But never forget "Big Brother.gov" is all about their power and their control of everything.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bill needs to be introduced and passed into law (similar to HB 1819 85R in Texas) that would allow STATE legality of owning the new short barreled firearms that have been adjudged by the BATF as being a non Class III/NFA firearm, like the Mossberg Shockwave or Remington Tac-14. Though it is in a gray area, for the most part, the current law makes ownership of these firearms (not shotguns) illegal.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SB11 text is here:

The 5 year max is why the 10 year handgun license would have to be eliminated in exchange for using the license to replace the NICS. OK2A has advocated bills in the past couple of years to do so along with lowering the cost of the license, but we would have to give up the 10 year license to comply with federal regulations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom