2018 Great Crappie Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fireworks and fillets make for a good week!

Some mega fireworks going on right now around us.
Some of the local ranchers have taken it upon themselves to put on the biggest show possible, and then their neighbor wants to outdo them. The amount of money going off in the air tonight is amazing.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone plan on fishing Wed? I went last year and caught a carp and that’s it. The lake I like to crappie fish doesn’t have a lot of deep water or brush, so the fish are harder to locate. Anyone else do well this time of the year still?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone plan on fishing Wed? I went last year and caught a carp and that’s it. The lake I like to crappie fish doesn’t have a lot of deep water or brush, so the fish are harder to locate. Anyone else do well this time of the year still?
On Kaw, the blue cat bite is hot drifting the flats along the river and creek channels. Crappie pretty good on rocks and submerged brush at 12-16'.
I'd suggest putting out some brush yourself to create habitat. In the summertime at most Oklahoma lakes a thermocline develops around 18-20 feet with no oxygen below that, so all the fish are typically above that depth. There are exceptions though. If there is current or high winds the thermocline may not exist.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On Kaw, the blue cat bite is hot drifting the flats along the river and creek channels. Crappie pretty good on rocks and submerged brush at 12-16'.
I'd suggest putting out some brush yourself to create habitat. In the summertime at most Oklahoma lakes a thermocline develops around 18-20 feet with no oxygen below that, so all the fish are typically above that depth. There are exceptions though. If there is current or high winds the thermocline may not exist.
Hmmm, thinkin it's gettin time to do some driftin. I'm getting a hankerin for some blues for a fry

Latest posts

Top Bottom