2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The buck my son is trying to kill came in at 4:30 this morning, and all he saw from the stand is a really nice 3 year old 10 point. :anyone:
IMG_1965.jpeg

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The buck my son is trying to kill came in at 4:30 this morning, and all he saw from the stand is a really nice 3 year old 10 point. :anyone:
View attachment 415208
So I apologize if my virginity to killing whitetail makes me super ignorant. But that Buck in the pic isn’t worthy of taking??? if that Buck was the one that popped my whitetail hunting Cherry I’d be over the moon lol

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I apologize if my virginity to killing whitetail makes me super ignorant. But that Buck in the pic isn’t worthy of taking??? if that Buck was the one that popped my whitetail hunting Cherry I’d be over the moon lol
You’re probably in the majority. We try to only shoot bucks 5 years or older on my place, but in 20 years of hunting this place, 6-7 seems to be when bucks typically hit their full potential.
I’ve watched the buck my son is hunting since 2021, and I really think he’s peaked being 6 this year.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put an extension ladder behind the tree and pull the ladder stand up easily with no issues. It sucks trying to put one up by pushing it into position and dangerous.
The ladder behind the tree is a safe way to do that and much safer when having to add the straps that anchor it to the tree.
This for the win on two-man stands, it absolutely works and is much easier and safer.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re probably in the majority. We try to only shoot bucks 5 years or older on my place, but in 20 years of hunting this place, 6-7 seems to be when bucks typically hit their full potential.
I’ve watched the buck my son is hunting since 2021, and I really think he’s peaked being 6 this year.

Are you mainly harvesting for meat or trophy? I’m pretty new to this. One each year has been harvested the past 4 years. First was a younger buck. 2nd was an older one. Both seemed tougher and gamyer that the next 2 does. I DID process the does myself rather than a professional processor and tried to be a little more meticulous about removing gray connective tissues a fat. Eating was much improved. Was it the fact of being a doe or the processing? Hesitant to take an older buck for that reason

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you mainly harvesting for meat or trophy? I’m pretty new to this. One each year has been harvested the past 4 years. First was a younger buck. 2nd was an older one. Both seemed tougher and gamyer that the next 2 does. I DID process the does myself rather than a professional processor and tried to be a little more meticulous about removing gray connective tissues a fat. Eating was much improved. Was it the fact of being a doe or the processing? Hesitant to take an older buck for that reason
I’m ”trophy” hunting.
Does are generally better to eat, but I’ve never considered a buck to be overly ”gamey”compared to a doe. How a deer is handled after the kill can have a lot to do with how good the meat is. Another thing to consider if you’re taking a deer to a processor is whether or not you’re really getting your deer back.
What part of season did you kill the bucks? If during the rut, then I would definitely expect them to be a little more gamey.

Latest posts

Top Bottom