2023 Garden thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took a stroll through the Lowes garden section on the way to buy some hardware and this followed me home. A good deal at $15. Recognized the cultivar, Olympic fig, originally from a chance seedling in Olympia WA, these were popular on the PNW coast. Cold hardy to zero F. We will see how it likeS Oklahoma. pictured with my Chicago Hardy fig that has yet to bud.
IMG_20230327_080108.jpg

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know if a way to identify which breed of tomatoes I planted? I planted 2 each of 3 varieties and didn’t think to label which kind. Well I lost one this weekend and not sure what I need to replant.

Also scored a bag of onion sets (variety pack of 100) at Walmart last night for a big ole .81 cents

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know if a way to identify which breed of tomatoes I planted? I planted 2 each of 3 varieties and didn’t think to label which kind. Well I lost one this weekend and not sure what I need to replant.

Also scored a bag of onion sets (variety pack of 100) at Walmart last night for a big ole .81 cents
I don't know of any way to identify tomato plants. If one variety was a cherry tomato they usually will be less bushy and have more vertical growth compared to slicing type tomatoes. That's the best I can do with the tomatoes.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

If one variety is potato leaf, like brandy wine, stupice, Caspian pink you may be able to tell otherwise you can tell if it is determinate (bush) or indeterminate (vine) when it grows out some. Otherwise all bets are off until it fruits.

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know of any way to identify tomato plants. If one variety was a cherry tomato they usually will be less bushy and have more vertical growth compared to slicing type tomatoes. That's the best I can do with the tomatoes.
If you want 10 tomato plants, plant 20 if you lose some no big deal. If you don’t lose any your neighbors would probable love some. I have about 40 of several verities. Just mix them up. Whatever comes, we eat.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want 10 tomato plants, plant 20 if you lose some no big deal. If you don’t lose any your neighbors would probable love some. I have about 40 of several verities. Just mix them up. Whatever comes, we eat.
I grow several varieties , I was just answering a question , not asking. At one time I was growing 200-300 tomato plants and selling produce at farmers market.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, put my "garden" in yesterday. We have three of the big foam pots around the pool so I planted 30 onions that was bought at Atwoods. Supposed to be some new variety that is sweet, and for the life of me, can't remember the name. With our travel schedule they might get bulbed out. If not, the buddy I've been helping put in his 1/2 acre garden with the 3 point tiller. We put in 75lbs of potatoes and about 300 onions of different varieties.
Scattered some radish and turnip seed on the tilled ground just before a 1/4" rain. What comes up, comes up.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got my potatoes planted. Had 20 lbs lasoda reds cut up and had to put off planting. I thought I put them up in my storage barn . Found them under my greenhouse bench😡. Got some mold but planted them anyway. Plus some leftovers from last year.
I had a bunch of small huckleberry gold left over and planted those as well.
Wasn't feeling real confident on the lasoda so I went and got 50 lb of Pontiac reds and 10 lb of white kennebec .
I planted a bunch whole just because I didn't want to wait for them to skin over . That's how I wound up waiting for it to dry up enough.
Probably around 90-100 lb planted.
If they all make I'll have plenty. I may have a dig-N-shoot. 😅

Latest posts

Top Bottom