2023 Garden thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had some russet potato's getting sprouts so gave them to my buddy with a garden.
His Yukon Gold's are getting pretty good sized now as well as the red potato's.
I'm thinking tomorrow would be a good day to harvest the russets and get them hardened before hitting the road for the summer season.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just boil them till cooked , cool down, peel then slice. I use a mandolin to keep thickness consistent. Lay in freeze dryer trays in single layer. Pre freeze then put them in the freeze dryer. Takes about 30 hours to dry.
I used to pickle them with recipe in canning book.
I googled the freeze dryer process. Interesting

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dug the 60’ row of Yukon Gold and Red Pontiac this morning Letting the 75# harvest cure in the shade before moving to the cellar Will dig the 50’ row of Kennebec tomorrow morning this is my most favorite garden product

IMG_4247.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang it, didnt' take pics, but I pulled the biggest onions I've ever grown to date and they would have got a whole lot bigger, but they had to be pulled as we are on the road again. Pretty much tennis ball size with the greens still healthy so I knew they would get bigger. Can't tell you the variety as it was at Attwood's on sale so picked up a bundle and put in some thick foam giant flower pots.
I'll try to take some pics when getting settled.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang it, didnt' take pics, but I pulled the biggest onions I've ever grown to date and they would have got a whole lot bigger, but they had to be pulled as we are on the road again. Pretty much tennis ball size with the greens still healthy so I knew they would get bigger. Can't tell you the variety as it was at Attwood's on sale so picked up a bundle and put in some thick foam giant flower pots.
I'll try to take some pics when getting settled.
The key to big onions is variety and planting date. I would recommend a intermediate variety and planting late February or early March for your area. I've always gotten bigger onions planting in ground vs container.
2014-06-13_21-03-07_245.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom