2023 Garden thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our garden has been doing well. Getting lots of squash and zucchini. Tomatoes are coming along nicely. But we had some really bad hail here the other night and it beat our poor garden up bad.. darn oklahoma weather!
Garden we had in the past got destroyed by hail early in the growing season. Best garden we ever had at the end of the season. The root system evidently went into overdrive and put out more growth and veggies than at any time past or future. Tomato plants were nothing but nubs coming from the ground after the hail.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
D2F35982-A5FB-4B92-A0B0-E3268236C40D.png
CEF5870F-24CA-4D07-9F51-DB15F7AA1F55.jpeg

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talk to me about curing onions. For the first time in my life, I'm getting big onions.
Grown in big insulated pots with potting soil.
I have to pick them in about 10 days, no matter the size. School me on the curing process. I've never heard of this variety and didn't save the tag. Bought at Attwoods.
When about 20% break over knock the rest over and leave in ground for 3-5 days. Then pull (best whey dry) and let finish drying for about 2-3 weeks in shade. Dont let them get wet again while drying. I put a small fan on mine under patio until dry. This was a good year for my 1015 onions. About 90% are baseball to softball size and sweet as ever.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Completed challenge: grow something.

One step at a time.

If you are REALLY lucky you might grow jalapenos 60 times in your life.

I did eggplant, shishito pepper, okra, tomato, and mammoth jalapeño, and potatoes last year. Way to busy this year to worry about a big garden but I do enjoy picking a good jalapeño and throwing it on the grill with a steak.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have never gardened before it can be over whelming if you go to big to quick start small and work up as your comfort level increases nothing like planting a large garden and something drastic happens and you dont make a crop it discourages alot of people from continuing and trying again. over the years i have tried many different techniques some worked some didnt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom