2023 Garden thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The key to big onions is variety and planting date. I would recommend an intermediate variety and planting late February or early March for your area. I've always gotten bigger onions planting in ground vs container. View attachment 388469
I tried growing big onions for 30 years, never getting anything bigger than a golf ball. We don’t have a garden anymore so it’s pots that used to be around the pool that disappeared Easter weekend.
These got in late March, so I knew it was late. A variety I never heard of so took a shot at the pots. If nothing else, end up with green onions. I did a deep dive on YouTube and discovered they are heavy feeders so started putting a pinch of miracle grow around each bulb weekly before the rains. That really got the bulbs growing nicely.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Green beans, sweet corn, potatoes harvested,mowed and tilled. Ready for pumpkin planting. Cantaloupe, watermelon, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, okra
IMG_4257.jpeg
yet to share their first production

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got my taters out of the ground...found out, I'm too old, fat, and lazy to be using a shovel like this

View attachment 389285
I’m there. My soil is pretty loose especially since I mound the soil as they grow but my preferred method of harvesting the potatoes is by hand. I don my thigh high waders, use a garden fork to just slightly lift the edges of the row to loosen soil Then on my hands a knees I work my way down the row digging only with my hands. Never skewered a spud and not hard on my back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom