2024 Health Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I pay $200 a pay period for me. My wife works for the hospital and pays $40 a pay period. Depending what happens with my insurance for 2024, I may switch to hers
I was getting almost $200 a month for not taking ours. The heart hospital was charging us $100 in addition to the cost of the insurance for me. The new rates made it necessary for me to get on mine.
You might check to see what the rates for you will be.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man... I've always tried to look at having a life-altering injury from military service as a blessing in disguise. After seeing what people pay for health insurance these days, I definitely know it is. The care I get thru the VA is as good, or better, than what I've received from civilian doctors. And there's no premiums and no deductibles. I can choose community care or go to a VA hospital. After dealing with civilian doctors and hospitals, usually at least as far away as the OKC VA, I've decided it's easier and better to just make an occasional trip to the OKC VA hospital for whatever I need. Routine stuff gets handled in the Ada VA clinic.

My wife has a small federal retirement. It's only about $350 month...but it allows her to continue the same health coverage she had while working at the same cost. It's like $187 month and it's pretty decent coverage. She also has Medicare Part B (I think...it's for hospitalization only) but there's no premium for that. The premiums for her other coverage are creeping up so we're gonna check on regular Medicare coverage to see if it makes sense to switch.

We couldn't afford health insurance if we had to pay what some of you guys are paying.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was getting almost $200 a month for not taking ours. The heart hospital was charging us $100 in addition to the cost of the insurance for me. The new rates made it necessary for me to get on mine.
You might check to see what the rates for you will be.
Yeah the one thing about my current insurance is that I can go to Cleveland Clinic for my heart checkup and any procedures that may be necessary in the future. When I had my open heart in 2021, my out of pocket for everything was $1500. (Plus travel, hotel and food)

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fred are you healthy? If you are, and I tell my kids this too, get that bronze crappy obummer care plan and open an HSA. You get to save money tax free and if you kick over it becomes an IRA for your kids.
You can open an account at livelyme.com and when you have medical problems, just put $100 in there and use it immediately. You don't have to leave it in there for a time before using it, and you get the deductions.

Or let it sit and invest it so it can grow completely tax free and once you turn 65 it just becomes like another IRA with associated taxes, EXCEPT for medical. All that is still tax free (save receipts!).

Politicians love a game, and HSAs are just another game they play so they can get tax free money and you dont.

This. Triple tax vehicle. I use it for me, and put my kids on my wife's plan. Kids will eat through an HSA real quick, unless you fully fund it every year. Livelyme is very user friendly for sure.

Last edited:

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I pay $200 a pay period for me. My wife works for the hospital and pays $40 a pay period. Depending what happens with my insurance for 2024, I may switch to hers
I'm considering this also, my wife pays nothing for her insurance but it's rather high to add a spouse or family. But waiting to see what mine raises too. My wifes insurance is definitely better but I will have to at least carry mine till June. Their year runs June to June, before I can be added to wife's.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At work I pay $140 biweekly for a higher deductible plan that allows me to contribute tax free to an hsa. I do $75 a check into that. I’ve got about $1,000 in there now and when I get to about $2,500 I’ll reduce that to $30 or so a check. Could be worse. Honestly this is some of the cheapest insurance I’ve had for the family in my working career. I just think our insurance model is a scam. But I’ll take it over socialized medicine any day

VA and Medicare are socialized medicine but no one complains about them. So is Medicaid.

It’s only bad when it’s the working class benefiting from it…

Latest posts

Top Bottom