.223 for bigger varmits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know why you'd want a 30rd mag for coyotes (or a separate gun for that matter), but from how I'm reading the regs (I'm not 100% sure about this), if you are out during Deer rifle (on public land) hunting for coyotes, you have to adhere to the legal means of taking whatever is in season.

This is why for Hogs, I can't have a 30rd mag during Deer rifle, but any other time of year, there is no limit to mag capacity for hunting hogs - now it goes a long way to say that if a game warden is out, you need to know that they don't all know every reg, so I'd have a copy of the regs with me if you wanted to push anything (hunting hogs/coyotes with a suppressor is one of those issues - technically, they're not game animal, so it is legal, but try explaining that to a game warden that doesn't know better).

Here's where you can find hunting regs for all of the various seasons:

http://wildlifedepartment.com/huntregs.htm

Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven (7) rounds of ammunition.

Number of rounds for deer is only limited on .22 caliber centerfire.

My question would be this: .223 is 3/1000ths bigger than .22, is it still .22 caliber? The engineer in me wants to argue that point.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven (7) rounds of ammunition.

Number of rounds for deer is only limited on .22 caliber centerfire.

My question would be this: .223 is 3/1000ths bigger than .22, is it still .22 caliber? The engineer in me wants to argue that point.

Honestly I wondered the same thing about an AR-10 chambered in .243 - does it qualify for a .22 centerfire round or is it large enough to be considered a "24 caliber centerfire"?

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly I wondered the same thing about an AR-10 chambered in .243 - does it qualify for a .22 centerfire round or is it large enough to be considered a "24 caliber centerfire"?

Yeah, like I said, I *want* to argue it. Is it really worth losing my gun, car, et al? Dont think Ill chance it.

Anyone know a game warden?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You could argue it, but it would be a losing argument. The law states .22 caliber, not .220, or .22 +/- .002, so .223 would still be considered .22 caliber. .243 however would not be. I wouldn't consider an AR-10 in .243 a risk.

If you had a .225 OSA wildcat, then you could argue that it was not a .22 caliber rifle, but that I would consider a risk.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well then, you are limited to 7 rounds for your AK when hunting deer.

Yeah, but from that link that was posted above, if you were hunting Coyotes even in deer rifle season, technically, you are ok. If you're carrying two rifles, one for deer and one for coyotes, then you're in what I would call risky territory if attempting to explain to a game warden what you're doing.

I wouldn't personally risk it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Well, yeah, but I didn't realize he was talking about hunting yotes instead of deer with the gun. As the mag cap limit is only effective with respect to deer, I assumed that he was looking to hunt deer with the gun.

Ah well. Interesting discussion about a retarded law.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, yeah, but I didn't realize he was talking about hunting yotes instead of deer with the gun. As the mag cap limit is only effective with respect to deer, I assumed that he was looking to hunt deer with the gun.

Ah well. Interesting discussion about a retarded law.

Very retarded.

I dont see how 7+ rounds of .22 is taboo, yet higher cap in larger caliber is not an issue.

Latest posts

Top Bottom