?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After School is out the 40,000 Teachers that say it is for the Kids. Need to Picket the Capitol and Department of Education with the following agenda
1) No Social Promotion
2) English is the only language used for Teaching
3) Require School Administrators to have a Business Degree
4) Consolidate 500 (Plus) school superintendents to one per county (77)
5) Schools with enrollment of over 10,000 can have a Superintendent

I may be wrong but I don’t think any legislators will be there. The next session doesn’t start till later. Again... I could be mistaken on that one.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't want to throw more money away. The Daily Oklahoman had an article that 40% of Oklahoma kids have to have remedial classes before they can start college classes. Public schools are a failure, and paying teachers more isn't going to make a difference, giving schools more money won't make difference. Oklahoma parents need to STEP UP and make sure your kids are getting an education. Would you buy a car that has a 40% failure rate? Education doesn't guarantee anything. I know a guy who can't read 5th grade level and he has worked all his life, and he has done pretty good.

I retired from a second career in student services in higher education here in Oklahoma so I do know a bit about this topic. While much of what you say here is incorrect in both my experience and in my opinion, it is true that many incoming freshmen in the 4 colleges at which I was employed did indeed require remedial instruction in math and other subjects. One big difference to consider is kids pretty much have to go to K-12; but attending college or other post-secondary education is a choice. And it costs something to go to college, costing something may give it more value to the individual. What I’m saying is because it does cost them money, rather than being basically free, young people may take it more seriously. Don’t you think so?

One more thing; we all know that guy who can barely read and write but makes a lot of money. But we know a heck of lot more of these illiterate or semi-literate folks who are barely employable, if they are employed at all.
And that’s all I have to say about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With regards to #4. While I agree, it seems the problem is that many small communities tie their identity through their school. The legislators would never go for it, as the local community identity will be seen as more important than the education system as a whole. Then there's the whole issues of bussing logistics in rural areas. Not sure how the tackle it in larger states, but it needs to be referenced.

When the Old County Superintendents closed the one room 1st to 8th grade Schools located in section 16 & 36 of every township. (These were Dependent Schools if you wanted to go to High School you moved to town or walked) the local small town school was the Independent School.

We are now at that point with the small town school, need to be reclassified as Dependent Schools Districts and only have Pre-K to 5th. Student would move or parents take them to school in the nearest, larger small town or the would have the option of using a chrome book and an program like PASSKEY (that is used for home schooling or alternative schools) it does a better job of teaching than any teacher does in Oklahoma.

There is no need for buses in a school system, Oklahoma City Metro Schools never had a Snow Day until 1968 when the finger plan made them bus students from one side of town to the other.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
After School is out the 40,000 Teachers that say it is for the Kids. Need to Picket the Capitol and Department of Education with the following agenda
1) No Social Promotion
2) English is the only language used for Teaching
3) Require School Administrators to have a Business Degree
4) Consolidate 500 (Plus) school superintendents to one per county (77)
5) Schools with enrollment of over 10,000 can have a Superintendent
What good would it do to demonstrate after the session of government is over? Besides, most of your issues are not teacher issues, they are taxpayer issues. Therefore, I think you should take your list to OKC to demonstrate for taxpayer issues. If you did organize a rally when the legislature is in session, I would join you as a taxpayer. I think I can prove that I am willing to take action, unlike some folks who sit around typing lists on the internet.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the Old County Superintendents closed the one room 1st to 8th grade Schools located in section 16 & 36 of every township. (These were Dependent Schools if you wanted to go to High School you moved to town or walked) the local small town school was the Independent School.

We are now at that point with the small town school, need to be reclassified as Dependent Schools Districts and only have Pre-K to 5th. Student would move or parents take them to school in the nearest, larger small town or the would have the option of using a chrome book and an program like PASSKEY (that is used for home schooling or alternative schools) it does a better job of teaching than any teacher does in Oklahoma.

There is no need for buses in a school system, Oklahoma City Metro Schools never had a Snow Day until 1968 when the finger plan made them bus students from one side of town to the other.

Having been a school board member in a small school district in a lower populated county, I'd say you are a bit clueless as to what the needs are for those rural schools and the families there. Many of those places couldn't use a chrome book if it required internet.

Try not to dictate what you think every school ought to do.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The vicious circle is the fact that if they had received a decent education somewhere along the line, they would respect or appreciate it's merits. They didn't, and here we are..... again.

I'm not sure that the teaching community brings so much negativity on themselves as much as a community as a whole expect the system to raise their kids. Don't know how much "boots on the ground" insight you have from Kalifornia, but I don't think it can be argued that the parents to today are generally less involved and especially take less responsibility for a child's upbringing. "Must be those damn liberal teachers" is what I hear on good ol OSA.

I don't need to have "boots on the ground" in OK to comment on some of this topic and what I have seen. Could the OK teachers use a pay raise? Sure seems like it. Could they use more classroom funding? Absolutely! There are probably very few teachers in the country that get paid enough for the work they do (no, I don't think teachers deserve extra or excessive pay because they have to deal with our snot nosed kids). To me, its a matter of being under paid for the educational requirements to become a teacher.

I think very few people in the "community" expect the school system to raise their kids. I do think that there is a small segment of the community, the poor, that expect or to some degree, demand that the schools system raise their kids. Give them free breakfasts and free lunches or vouchers for the meals, vouchers or free after school care, etc It's not the school districts responsibility to feed and baby sit kids for free. To my other point, I truly believe that if the school districts were run like a private corporation you'd have much stronger support from the community. There is not personal responsibility with the public school systems like there is in the private sector. You don't perform, you're gone, period. If you don't like it, goodbye. But we know that would never happen. So, you got what you have right now, which is the way the liberals like it, so you got it.

BTW, this is the salary of the teachers in my son's school district in Newport Beach, CA. The teachers are still asking for help with classroom costs despite the massive amounts of property taxes we pay that go to heavily support the schools.
http://nmusd-ca.schoolloop.com/file/1281197594254/1246559508790/3503749159757749928.pdf

Latest posts

Top Bottom