2wd or 4wd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was up in KC several years ago when a snowstorm hit. I figured they were used to driving on it. WRONG! They provided us with lots of entertainment. More SUVs and 4X4's in the ditches than anything else. I was driving a Honda Odyssey. It did very well.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has a little Honda with FWD that she bought to take the kids to Tenkiller in the summers but she loves driving it in winter weather. We live rural near Coweta and she drives it to work in Tulsa in the ice and snow when her help who lives in Tulsa call in because they cant get out of their driveways. She's the boss so she kind of has to be there anyways but she was born in Minnesota and she gets all excited when it snows and cant wait to get out in it.

Ive been getting around Wagoner county pretty good in my AWD. Slow and easy. Bought this AWD/4x4 from BulbBoy a couple winters ago and pretty much the only time its ever in 4wheel is when we're playin around in the mud at the farm or Im going back and forth to Iowa and California working. A good set of all terrain tires helps the AWD on ice and snow. Gas mileage suckage is the only con with AWD.

My old K5 4x4 that I keep at my place up in northern Cali gets me around pretty good up on the mountain in the snow, not much ice up there. Chains are required past the foothills though when it snows deep or the CHP wont let you by the roadblocks they set up at the bottom. The road down to my place is a ways off the main road and is all mud and snow in the winter and not alot of fun to drive on we usually just get the snow mobiles out to go get some groceries or a burger in the nearest small town a few miles away.

Most of these 4x4s these people say they see in the ditches are either kids or idiots going too fast. Ya, Im that idiot in the 4x4 going too slow...

FWD
View attachment 36575
AWD/4x4
View attachment 36576
4x4
View attachment 36577

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would gladly take a 4wd vehicle over a AWD vehicle. I don't want to give up the gas mileage when I don't have to. With that I made it out of my addition in 2wd yesterday, though the neighbor did eat the curb when she was driving down the wrong side of the down hill on ice and I came up in my lane. She slammed on the brakes (no ABS) and then put it into the curb to miss me. Bet it left a nice mark on her wheels, what she gets for going 30mph downhill on a solid sheet of ice on a road that ends at a T intersection.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were up in the Colorado Springs area for two weeks last October. It would amaze some of you to see just how many 2WD vehicles are up there. Now, if they also have a 4WD sitting at home would be another issue. I've dealt with both 2WD and 4WD in agricultural pursuits and have never really had a problem with either one on roads. Only really needed 4WD when out taking care of the cattle.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was up in KC several years ago when a snowstorm hit. I figured they were used to driving on it. WRONG! They provided us with lots of entertainment. More SUVs and 4X4's in the ditches than anything else. I was driving a Honda Odyssey. It did very well.

Why did you find that entertaining?

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I tell my wife, who is Canadian and knows how to drive in snow, to stay home from work whenver it snows here in OK as I don't want her hurt or our car damaged by dumbass drivers who panic at the first sight of a snowflake since none of them know how to drive in the snow.

Because of my job, I don't have that luxury, as evidence of a snapshot I took on last Thursday near London, Ontario. This is the view from my 2wd Ram 3500...

[Broken External Image]

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't need a 4x4 if you grown up & lived in it & KNOW how to drive in it(grew up in Nova Scotia A foot of snow overnight was the norm) my 2wd tacoma does just fine but I do have a set of studded snow tires just like the old days & a set of chains if needed. I do not have the option to call in so unless some other idiot takes me out i'm good

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ROFL, four wheel drive has a place if you know how to use it. Then again if you don't your the one in the ditch due to over confidence. Four wheel drive vehicles will get going a little better but has the same breaking system as any other vehicle, doesn't matter if you can get going or not when you step on the breaks too hard anti-lock or not your going to see bad things happen.

I have gotten around four years with a two wheel drive vehicle grew up on ice and snow, drove a Camaro around on it with wide tires and watched people with four wheel drives end up in the ditch.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran 4wd on Monday morning, mostly because the traction control can't be disabled on my FJ in 2wd. Darn thing kept cutting power/hitting the brakes. Besides, according to the owner's manual, you're supposed to run in 4wd 10 miles a month to keep things "lubed". Lord knows, I can get behind that idea.

Only hit a couple spots where 4wd was helpful, oddly enough mostly in downtown Tulsa. Some guy got halfway up a hill on Denver and pretty much just gave up...just sat there, crooked, crossing two lanes. Not spinning the tires, just sitting there, apparently waiting for the spring thaw.

People were trying to figure out if they should go around him, but there was a red light at the top of the hill, so they just sat and waited too. I just drove partway up, stopped a few times, and kept going at my leisure.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My little Honda Accord w/front wheel drive and chains will go and stop in the nasty stuff! I have owned several 4x4's and my Accord will go with the best of them on the ice, snowy roads. Now offroad, no way!

Latest posts

Top Bottom