2WD or 4x4??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't speak for all truck owners, but my primary reason for having a non-4x4 truck is that I'm not in Congress--I can't spend your money to buy my truck, I can only spend mine. Well, I mean, if you want to give me the money to cover the difference, I wouldn't tell you to go jump in a lake, but somehow, I don't see that happening. :D

That and in Oklahoma us city folk only need 4wd for 20 minutes a couple of times per year.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't speak for all truck owners, but my primary reason for having a non-4x4 truck is that I'm not in Congress--I can't spend your money to buy my truck, I can only spend mine. Well, I mean, if you want to give me the money to cover the difference, I wouldn't tell you to go jump in a lake, but somehow, I don't see that happening. :D

Mine is 20 years old. Just drove it to New Mexico and back 3 weeks ago. You don't have to buy new.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is 20 years old. Just drove it to New Mexico and back 3 weeks ago. You don't have to buy new.
New or used, 4x4 costs more than 2WD, all else being equal. In all the hundreds of thousands of miles I've driven, I've actually needed 4x4 maybe three or four times, so, for me, that money is better spent on other things. (In the case of my truck, I got a steal--the same truck with 4WD would've cost almost $10K more than I paid.)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Understood. Not everybody needs 4WD. Most people get by their entire lifetime without one. Some have one, and it never leaves dry asphalt or gets a speck of mud on it. I call em off road asphalt cowboys.

Its these threads where somebody says their 2wd will out perform a 4WD that brings out the "challenge". Those of us that use 4WD on a daily basis, really know how much they are required in true off road conditions.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its these threads where somebody says their 2wd will out perform a 4WD that brings out the "challenge". Those of us that use 4WD on a daily basis, really know how much they are required in true off road conditions.
Yeah, there are some places 4WD will get you that 2WD can't, but the closest I get to there is my dad's hay field.

...though I could've used 4WD in my driveway last Memorial Day. All that rain turned it to quicksand, and I ain't even teasing...

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My sister-in-laws Hyundai Accent could have driven all around your area DH. Pulling a trailer too. But I'm a good driver, so your ability must just be lesser. You know, since a good driver can take a 2wd anywhere a 4x4 could go.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sister-in-laws Hyundai Accent could have driven all around your area DH. Pulling a trailer too. But I'm a good driver, so your ability must just be lesser. You know, since a good driver can take a 2wd anywhere a 4x4 could go.

HAHA! Make you a deal. I'll just follow behind. When the inevitable happens,(it won't take far) I'll just back up to you and your responsible to wallow in the mud to hook up the chain. Just throw the other end over my hitch. I'll take care of the rest. :D

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought my first 4WD in the late 80's. I have driven one ever since then. Although over 90% of the time I'm in 2WD mode, those few times I needed 4WD due to snow, mud, whatever, it was worth having. I live rural, and there were times I would never have made it to/from work without the 'ole 4x4.

But, whether you drive a 2WD or 4WD, if the driver doesn't have a brain, then neither one's going to work out well. Driving in 4WD mode isn't a license to get stupid like I've seen many times.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Shootin 4 Fun make a good point.

Why attempt to justify what vehicle you drive to others? If you want a 4X4 and can afford it then drive a 4X4. even if you never use it. None of my business what you spend your money on.

Heck, if you wanna drive a semi to work and can afford it. Go for it. best part of livin' in Murica is you don't have to substantiate what you spend your greenbacks on. kinda like gun ownership if you think about it.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the 2011 snow storm hit Tulsa I had a 71 Chevy pickup and two front wheel drive vans. It was impossible to get out of our drive with any of the three. The Chevy PU was worthless, couldn't even get it out of where it was parked. The van's didn't have a chance trying to get through 2 foot drifts. I ended up calling a friend with a 4x4 pickup to come get the wife and take her to her sisters in Tulsa so she could get to work.

That spring I sold the 71 Chevy and bought a 2000 Silverado 4x4 pickup with rear locker. I paid $2,500 for the Silverado, high mileage (250,000) but had been well maintained and all it really needed was tires. Have only needed it to take the wife to work a couple times since 2011 but sure nice to know if we get hit again like we did in 2011 we can get out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom