3-gun Competition Shotgun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you're thinking about a fiber optic front sight on the Benelli M2, you need a barrel with a vented rib, which I wish I had, and stay away from pistol grips and ghost ring sights.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having shot a dozen different hunting and tactical shotguns when I had interest in them and practicing some 3 gun stuff with friends but not yet having shot a match with one, I'd recommend the M2. I only owned mine for 6 or 7 months and shot it less than 300 times, but it was a joy to use daily. It was light and reliable with a bunch of random stupid ammo that I wanted to feed it. I've handled and shot a lot of other peoples M2's since all the 3 gunners use them and I'm on a first name basis with a lot of those guys.

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lately I've taken to the Jerry Miculek Pro Series Mossberg 930's. I saw a couple a a recent gun show for $600 (found them for about 60 less online) and they seemed really nice.

Features are:
-22 or 24 inch non-ported barrel (threaded for chokes)
-9 or 10 shot tube
-vent rib with fiber optic sights
-enlarged bolt release/handle
-loading gate enlarged

Seems like a good value for the mods done, plus I do like mossberg controls and reliability. As soon as I can find one in stock for a good price somewhere and have the extra scratch, I think I'll get one.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should play with one of my CZ's if you want to get in for a reasonable cost! with a couple little things done to them they run like a champ, you don't have to put one of your kidney's on EBay and they work. I'm gonna say it cause I know some of the names that worked on the 930's before Mossberg got Jerry to let them put his name on them your better off to spend your money elseware. The Benelli is the champ here cause well it's a proven shotgun BUT they still have hick-ups from time to time as they all do! you want a Benelli let Mike at Accurate Iron play with it he knows them well. The FN is heavy and you have to really grind on the forearm to make them easy to load since they hang down also the Mossberg has to be ground on pretty good so it doesn't get in the way.

Your going to find that the Benelli is going to get the nod cause well most everyone shoots them! I went a different road with the CZ712 and I've had to work hard with some help it's a freakin' awesome shotgun that when your done you still have beer money left LOL Later,

Kirk

AtomicTango

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should play with one of my CZ's if you want to get in for a reasonable cost! with a couple little things done to them they run like a champ, you don't have to put one of your kidney's on EBay and they work. I'm gonna say it cause I know some of the names that worked on the 930's before Mossberg got Jerry to let them put his name on them your better off to spend your money elseware. The Benelli is the champ here cause well it's a proven shotgun BUT they still have hick-ups from time to time as they all do! you want a Benelli let Mike at Accurate Iron play with it he knows them well. The FN is heavy and you have to really grind on the forearm to make them easy to load since they hang down also the Mossberg has to be ground on pretty good so it doesn't get in the way.

Your going to find that the Benelli is going to get the nod cause well most everyone shoots them! I went a different road with the CZ712 and I've had to work hard with some help it's a freakin' awesome shotgun that when your done you still have beer money left LOL Later,

Kirk

I saw a used 712 Utility on Buds for ~$380 once, I nearly bought it but wasn't sure about going as short as a 20in barrel and missed the opportunity. Is yours the Utility, another model or did you just chop down/rethread a longer barrel?

I love CZ handguns, and it stands to reason I would like their shotguns too. And, as you say, it would likely end up cheaper than a JM Pro.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20" barrel is nothing to worry about only issue is you can swing the shotgun rather fast! I just got the Utility but the little short shotgun if you ghost load you can get 10 rounds in the thing. You can pick them up if you can find an FFL that you get along with and will search a bit.

If you want to learn more shoot me a PM or go over the Brian Enos and search the CZ712 thread a mess of info for ya to read thru. Later,

Kirk

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The CZ may be a better choice than getting a used benelli M1 and decking it out. One thing for sure, is its a valid option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom