.30-06 varmint loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the realoading business, and have concentrated mainly on building a good deer load.
Lately though, I've given some thought to trying to load up a very light-weight bullet for use as a varmint load. Does anyone have any experience or reccomendations for this, as far as bullets/powders go?

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What would you be considering varmints? I know in my 308 I found that the bullets I would use for hunting worked well or should I say didn't scatter a yote over half the county. I would say that a bullet in the 150-165 grain range would be ok but I would not want to take an 06 to a p-dog town. Later,

Kirk

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
any 110 gr over 48gr of 760 =3000+/-fps will drop jackrabbits and other small game. check your reload books for loads to try,I check about 4 books for loads and start at the load that matchs in most of the books.
125,130gr will also work for smaller targets than deer.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most 30-06 barrels have a 1 in 10 twist. This will spin light bullets, especially cheap ones, so fast they become unstable unless you load them really light to keep the speed down. I think I would make my lightest loads in the 140-150 grain range.

If you really want to get into varmint shooting, pick up a 22-250 or something similar. Look at Savages. 30-06 will do lots of stuff, but it's still a fairly heavy caliber. CB

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
use a different round like 22-250 for varmints

the super versatile .270 win can be loaded for varmint and deer
.270 win handles 90-150 grn bullets... my fav handload uses 130 grn Hornady bullets. this loads drops any deer I've ever met... zero your scope 2 inch high at 100yds....shoots almost flat up to 300yds.

Fitz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe Remington makes 30/06 ammunition called the Accelerator for this purpose. Never used it but I knew a guy that did. Said he could never get it to group any good.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I played around with loading all sorts of different bullet weights in various medium caliber deer rifles.

What finally worked its way into my mind was:
1. There always seems to be a "sweet spot" where the bullet weight just matches the rifle and shoots best (this was before the Browning BOSS).
2. Even if I could get a light bullet load and a medium bullet load to work, they shot to very different points of aim, and the rifle was always zeroed to the "other" load when I wanted to shoot.

So, I now just use one weight bullet per rifle, and whatever I shoot with my .270 rifle gets a dose of 130gr, for example. Deer, coyote, pig, even have shot the heads off rabblts. The only concession I make is to use a Partition for elk, and a Hornady Interbond when not elk hunting (they shoot to the same group).

Long winded way of saying if you want to shoot all day in a dogtown, I'd take a .22-250.

Latest posts

Top Bottom