.30-06 varmint loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you aren't going to save pelts the 110gr. bullets are devastating, just don't push them to fast go for the most accurate you can get. I have shot several deer with these bullets, although the are thin jackets, they worked most of the deer I shot with them were head shots and it was ugly. I have shot several though the lungs and they dropped pretty fast, but if you shoot them in the shoulder or quartering these will not do the job. now we use 130gr bullets and 3031 powder in the 30-06 and it works for everything. I think of varminting as high volumes of shooting, this being said you are going to burn alot of powder.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe Remington makes 30/06 ammunition called the Accelerator for this purpose. Never used it but I knew a guy that did. Said he could never get it to group any good.
this is good stuff. It was something like a .22 bullet with a sabot in a large caliber case. Buddy had some in a .308. hot little beggers. depending on what you call a varmint, that '06 is gonna be hell on your critter and shoulder if it is pdogs.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this is good stuff. It was something like a .22 bullet with a sabot in a large caliber case. Buddy had some in a .308. hot little beggers. depending on what you call a varmint, that '06 is gonna be hell on your critter and shoulder if it is pdogs.

I seem to recall that these are pretty hard on barrels.

I think if I could only have one rifle for deer, elk, etc and for varmints, I would get a long action Savage 110 and switch barrels when necessary.

I could change my .338-06 Savage 110 to any long action varmint cartridge in minutes, and I think you can get away with short cartridges too, but haven't tried it. CB

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the realoading business, and have concentrated mainly on building a good deer load.
Lately though, I've given some thought to trying to load up a very light-weight bullet for use as a varmint load. Does anyone have any experience or reccomendations for this, as far as bullets/powders go?

Many years ago I used the 125 gr. Sierra HP with 48.5 gr. IMR-4895 for a nice soft shooting varmit load.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
my brother and i have used winchester factory loaded 125 grain shells in our rem 700's for several years they are very fast and accurate as well to me they shoot as good or better than 150 grain bullets my bdl will group nickle size groups and my brothers adl will shoot even tighter almost dime size groups at a 100 yds i have some 110 grain that i loaded with imr 3031 but have not tryed them yet well let you know when i get a chance to go to the range after deer season the 125's will blow a pretty good size hole through the front shoulder of a deer

Latest posts

Top Bottom