300 aac blackout barrel question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been considering buying a 6.8/6.5 upper for hog hunting, maybe some deer hunting, but have been turned to the 300 aac from a couple people. From what I've heard, the 300 aac is interchangeable with .223 components. So, my question is, to change from my current setup to a 300 aac, would all I need to buy be to buy a barrel? Is everything interchangeable? Also, if that is all I need to do can you swap them back and forth multiple times or would you have to make changes to the gas block to accomodate the 300 aac? Forgive me if this is not real clear, I'm just intrigued by this. I've seen barrels for a little over $200 bucks.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to start having to move barrels around very often, but the parts are interchangeable and you COULD. The only issue would be the gas system length. Your 5.56 and 300blk would have to use the same length tube or you would need to buy one for the 300blk. Still, what a pain that would be.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you've already got the 5.56/.223 upper I would recommend another upper entirely. The fact that the mags would be used for both is whats cool to me. Unload one and reload it with .300 AAC, swap uppers and you're off.

It's more than a $200 barrel as far as cost but for the ease of switching its worth it.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Installing the barrel is highly stressful on the upper, plus the nut can be used only so many times.
Properly chambered/spaced the bolt would interchange - but it's not recommended.

Basically the complete upper would be the right thing to do, and if you are not shooting suppressors - I would go with 6.5G: it just stomps 300 every way possible.

With all that said - in Oklahoma, 223 with the right bullet and distance will do the job. Spend the money on practice - you can't go wrong with that.

R

rsilvers

Generally you would build an upper then change that on your lower.

Almost no one would want to change barrels back and forth. It would be like changing tires on your car (well easier than that). You can do it, but it takes 20 minutes or so.

One of the main advantages of 300 BLK is that it uses normal magazines with 30 round capacity, and the ammunition is $10.36 per box.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2AACO102860-1.html

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated by most here. You would probably want to get a different upper. Then you can just switch uppers, but consider this for a moment.

If getting a different upper you can:
1. Use the same BCG (bolt carrier group) for both rifles, if the head spacing on the 300BLK barrel is correct with your current bolt.
2.(recommended by most people I know) have a dedicated BCG for the new upper.

If you decide to go with a complete new upper with BCG, then basically the only cost savings advantage to the 300BLK is that you can use standard AR-15 mags and you can use 5.56 brass to make 300 BLK brass (If you reload). ETA Also 300BLK ammo is supposedly cheaper (I really haven't looked), but I assume that is why you have a 5.56.

Weigh those benefits against the 6.5G/.264LBC or 6.8SPC (both use different bolt and magazines than 5.56) you were already considering and make an informed decision of what round is best for your purpose. All 3 rounds have proven to kill game cleanly. There is debate between the camps as to which is best. I won't say anything about that other than that I shoot a 6.8 and love mine. There are caliber specific forums for all mentioned if you wanted to research them independently.

Good luck on your new upper.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom