Help! Talk me out of getting into .308!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I consolidated calibers years ago and I haven't really wanted to add calibers that I don't already have before now, but lately I've been tempted to get an AR-10.

I recently picked up a 8" .300 Blackout so I'm kinda thinking that I might as well get a .308 too.

I would be using it for the occasional deer or hog hunt at distances that I don't feel the 300 BLK wouldn't be adequate.

At this time I don't really have a great place to hunt but maybe that'll change before too long.
22lr, 9mm, 5.56, 308, 12ga.....if you are missing one of those chambers, sell the odd-ball chambers to get it.

45ACP also gets an "honorable mention" LOL

If on a budget, get a Ruger American with a affordable vortex scope...no need for the AR10 if just for hunting. If you want to take something to the range on the regular, then get the AR10 variant. I've been looking for an American with the compact barrel (perfect hog gun), but every time Academy gets one in, the counter jockeys quickly scratch the finish. I've about decided to look for a lever 308 instead.

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
22lr, 9mm, 5.56, 308, 12ga.....if you are missing one of those chambers, sell the odd-ball chambers to get it.

45ACP also gets an "honorable mention" LOL

If on a budget, get a Ruger American with a affordable vortex scope...no need for the AR10 if just for hunting. If you want to take something to the range on the regular, then get the AR10 variant. I've been looking for an American with the compact barrel (perfect hog gun), but every time Academy gets one in, the counter jockeys quickly scratch the finish. I've about decided to look for a lever 308 instead.
I've just never really been into bolt guns. I'm a bit of an AR fan boy. To be honest most of my shooting is done at paper but I hope to get to hunt a little on some land I have access to.

I'm also not into shotguns anymore. The only reason I have the 20 gauge is because it was the first and only new gun my dad bought for me.

I was a 45acp guy for a while back in the '80s but I got over it.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ll throw a curve with a 260. In tough times you can use brass from 308, 7-08 & 243 after you work it a little. With longer bullets you’ll be restricted by mag length and you’ll never be able to push the pressure curve as hard as you can in a bolt gun.

Here is a quick look at ballistics for a 260 shooting a 143gr ELDX @ 2775 fps

B5AEB8DD-F5C0-4D2D-B78C-E8583D8769EF.png

Here is the ballistics for a 308 shooting a 168gr Berger VLD @ 2730 fps.
I’m not sure how fast a an AR10 will shoot a 168 VLD so it’s a guess on my part

434EA470-7A04-4347-98A7-F38678596AE0.png

Just food for thought

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have .308s in Rem.700 PLT, Steyr Match, Rem.700 AAC SD, Armalite M4, Armalite AR10T and more. The M1a is a great gun but not as accurate as a good AR10 and hard on brass. I've never shot past 800 yards, but it will do it fine and a little farther. I keep my cost down by staying with .308, 300 Whisper, 300 Blackout, 5.56mm, and .357mag. for rifles. Pistol, I stay with .380acp, 9mm, 38/.357 mag, and .45acp.

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry no can do. I have had at least one or several rifles in .308 for the last 50 years. I currently only have two. My bride located me a Ruger GSR in LEFT HANDED flavor. That is my walkabout rifle. The other is also an early Remington heavy barrel. Too portly for a long stroll in the woods, but ungodly accurate from a rest!

Excellent caliber with amazing results pretty far out there! Reasonable to reload for and versatile, components can be found most anywhere along with loaded ammo. What’s not to like? And with a can and the right ammo it’s quiet. It’s not the newest or hottest caliber, but it does everything that I need!

Regards,

Latest posts

Top Bottom