.38 super or 9mm largo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roknruin1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys!! Ok so i bought a Star Modelo Super last night, and was wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction for some 9mm largo ammo or .38 acp/super. I would greatly appreciate some help lol im gonna run out of ammo today and need more!

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

In 1996 Winchester introduced a new cartridge, the 9x23mm Winchester. The exterior case dimensions of this round are almost identical to the 9mm Largo. Interior dimensions are different though, as this cartridge is loaded to much higher pressure than the 9mm Largo. For this reason 9x23mm Winchester ammunition should not be used in 9mm Largo firearms. Reloading the brass to 9mm Largo specifications should not pose a problem, if it is remembered that the case capacity of the 9x23mm Winchester is less than that of the 9mm Largo and powder charges are adjusted accordingly.

http://www.9mmlargo.com/cartridge/index.htm

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
9mm largo DOES NOT equal 9X23. There is a guy who sells reloaded ammo at the Wannemaker gun show that has 9mm largo. He is usually on the LL, far east side. I buy a couple of boxes every time. Good stuff. There are a few online sources as well. Google 9mm Largo. They are fun guns to shoot!

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
call brigadoons in midwest city, and see if they have any on the shelf. Cci blazer also makes it.

if you don't mind mail order, century is the best price, sarco also has some online.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
do not do not shoot .38 super in that gun. It will work, but the potential for disaster is VERY high. Call me.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is ammo available on the internet for under $200/1000, both in corrosive and noncorrosive versions. I think Sarco has it, but don't have time to do a search now, so yoyo (you're on your own).

I have a nice Modelo Super that I will be selling with a couple of holsters (one is a shoulder rig and the other is a belt holster) and it'll include over 500 rounds of noncorrosive ammo. These are great pistols. As to the .38 super, my books rate the largo ammo as slighter hotter than the super, but the case heads are a bit different and some Supers don't function well with it. My Super likes the CCI Blazer ammo, but not all of them like the Blazer Largo ammo so well. Back ends of the aluminum ammo differ quite a bit from the original Largo configuration.

As posted above, stay plumb away from the Winchester 9x23. It's 'way too hot for the Largo guns, though they will take it for a while, just how long is anybody's guess, and a kaboom is a real possibility. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom