40 s&w for carry...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oklaccer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I carried a Glock 27, it was 165 grain Hornady TAP. I tried the 180 and it was more kick than the 165. I recently moved up to the Glock 23 and the difference was not really significant, so I use either Hornady TAP 180 or Federal Premium 180.
Bottom line, try them all, use what works best for you.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "Original" .40S&W, the very gun was a Smith & Wesson 4006. CHP officers were the very first to tote it on duty. The gun and cartridge were both designed around the 180gr projectile.

My Glock 22 is stoked with 180gr Winchester Ranger SXTs. The "Caucasian" Talon, if you will. ;)

Getting harder to find :soapbox: the rangers available for us non LEO's out there, especially at a reasonable price. I used to carry them in my G22 before I sold it.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me a carry gun is the smallest and lightest possible. For that reason I always carry lighter bullets to cut down on the recoil.
Another reason that I have not really tested is that lighter bullets need faster burning powders that in my opinion are less likely to suffer in a short barrel.
I don't carry a 40 right now but that could change very soon.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry 180 gr Gold Dot.

About which has the most recoil, just see Newton's Third Law

The lower the combination of mass and velocity for a given round, the lower the force the round has leaving the firearm, and (accordingly) the lower the recoil.

Without digging up specific manufacturer's statistics, the lighter rounds for a given caliber generally have lower recoil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom