410 gauge for HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I ask why your sticking with a shotgun at this point?

Is she averse to a carbine of some sort? I'd go to a light, short rifle before I went with a .410.

A 3 inch .410 shot shell fires 3/4 ounce of shot at 1100 feet per second, resulting in approximately 800 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, and a 2 ½" .410 with ½ ounce of shot produces approximately 600 foot pounds at the muzzle. The delivered energy at the defense ranges considered here are greater than a .357 Magnum revolver cartridge, but the longer barrel and greater weight of the shotgun results in less than half the noise and recoil. More important, the shot pattern is about 8 inches in diameter at 20 feet (full choke), and does not generally penetrate a wall, whereas a .357 Mag bullet pierces walls easily...and unintended victims on the other side.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why the desire to compare a long gun to handgun performance? If you are running a long gun, compare it to other long guns.

IIRC, penetration and deep tissue damage is what kills. I haven't seen impressive testing results in terms of reliable penetration/wound cavity from any of the 'magic' .410 loads. At this point if she can't handle a 12 or even a 20, IMHO she'd be better off with a 5.56 variety carbine.

Shotguns, more importanty weak shotguns, are not a solution for marksmanship, strength and confidence issues. Carbines fit small framed folks, are easy to train with, and don't require any high dollar snake oil rounds to perform effectively.

All that being said only the OP knows his wife and what she will/won't be able to learn/grow into.

(I guess you're getting by now that I'll never be convinced that the .410 is a viable Self/Home defense round, LOL)

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(I guess you're getting by now that I'll never be convinced that the .410 is a viable Self/Home defense round, LOL)
Yep. In context, a 10/22, with a RDS and Blackdog Machine 50 round mags, loaded with Stingers would really be better. In this instance, training consists of, "dear, just pull the trigger until you hear "click", then put a new mag in...".

Some gun is better than no gun, and the .22 offers the advantages of virtually imperceptible recoil, allowing a horrendous volume of on-target fire, and the control of being shoulder fired.

The value of the shotgun (other than the mass of a 12g slug) is the "volume" of fire in a single trigger pull- it is the poor man's sub-gun. If one is not able to manage, for whatever reason, light-recoil 12g loads, or the 20 g, a high-cap .22 is a viable option.

One of the older 9mm or .45 carbines would be good, since muzzle blast is negligible, and high-cap mags are readily available...

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a short 870 in 20 ga and a circut judge (410 revolver rifle) both of which she should be able to handle, also have a 410 comming in on consignment in a couple of days.
Bring her in and let my wife work with you both.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Due to injuries received in Iraq, along with three surgeries on my neck, I had to back down to a 20Ga. I went with the Mossberg youth model which already has a recoil pad, an slipped an additional Limb-saver on her to give me a full 13" LOP. It was the perfect match. With 4+1 3" #2 buck, and a slipon sidesaddle holding another six rounds, she'll get the job done. I also picked up a coach gun in 20Ga, which is actually heavier than the Mossberg, and has a very good recoil pad on her.

I hated to have to give up my 12Ga guns, but due to the injury, an all the surgeries to fix everything, I just couldn't handle the recoil even with the reduced loadings.

Latest posts

Top Bottom