.45 ACP Carry Ammo Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem with the bullets on a 45ACP getting pushed into the casings? I have been told 1911s are worse about this than other pistols, I mainly see it on self defense ammo that I unload and reload from time to time in order to practice. Was curious if anyone else has tried different types of ammo to see if one is better than another, it seems like some ammo has a cannelure and an obvious crimp, other ammo has a crimp behind the bullet in the middle of the casing.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The more often a round is loaded and unloaded especially if it is chambered the more likely that it will be overpressed into the case. The crimp really isn't a 100% stop all and by the time you have a real good hard long holding crimp it may cause the case to overpressure. I know there is a thread on just that here somewhere where a member was reloading and have a case get crimped too much and it blew a barrel apart.

Simple enough, don't "practice" with SD ammo and after you have had it for a year shoot it and get new. The oils we use to lubricate our weapons can seep between the bullet and the case and cause problems anyway. Better to have something you know you can count on than to hold on to something that has been chambered, bounced, banged and who knows what else for a year in your carry weapon.

Revived

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NightShade is right… the simple answer is - it’s loading and unloading… by design you’re typically dealing with a taper crimp… the first point of contact is the feed ramp - if you carry hollow points at the very least make sure it has a mirror like polish/finish to it to ease the resistance//friction point… or talk to your local gunsmith and have the angle slightly reduced specific to what you carry… with that said - DO NOT sacrifice bullet setback for reliability… you can always buy more ammo…

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with NightShade and Revived on this one. Set aside a magazine for practice and don't load and reload your self-defense ammo. (Although you will still have to rotate the ammo in the mag used for self-defense so you are not chambering and re-chambering the same round over and over ...) Also a good reason to just go ahead and shoot up that self-defense stuff every few months and replace it. How often depends, again, on how much you practice (and therefore load and reload that ammo) ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom