4x4 For Hunting - Should I Go Big Or Small?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a 4x4 to use as a hunting vehichle. I'll use it as a daily driver too since I work from home and don't put too many miles on. I'm kinda torn between two ends of the spectrum as far as 4x4s go.

I'm looking at a lifted Nissan Xterra and a Chevy Avalanche (not lifted but may end up doing it). Here's the pros for each. What am I missing and what would you guys go for if year, and mileage were the same?

Xterra:
+ $1000 cheaper and already lifted and skid plates
- Not as powerful (but I don't pull stuff)
+ more made for 4wheeling
+ already lifted so no later cost there
- ever need to sell it, doesn't hold value as well / sort of offset by lesser initial cost
- it's in Broken Arrow so long drive if I get there and it's a POS

Avalanche:
+ Cooler all around setup
+ These are nearly always loaded with leather, sun roof etc. (not what looking for in hunting truck but if it has it cool)
+ more power
- built as more of a 4wd urban vehichle than for off roading
- not already lifted (is z71 so has the skit plates)
+ ability to have a small open bed if needed
- in OKC so not too far to check it out

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Avalanches seem to fall apart quickly if you do much more than mallcrawling. I don't keep up with the Jap cars, so I don't know about the Xterra.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of those two you would want the Nissan for sure. Totally different 4 wheel drive systems there. Unless you wanted to add a front locker to the Chevy? Then better comparison. Problem with the Nissan is that it does not have an open bed. Hunting leans be toward an open bed truck rather than an SUV for hauling carcass etc. You don't want that stuff sitting in the back of an SUV.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of those two you would want the Nissan for sure. Totally different 4 wheel drive systems there. Unless you wanted to add a front locker to the Chevy? Then better comparison. Problem with the Nissan is that it does not have an open bed. Hunting leans be toward an open bed truck rather than an SUV for hauling carcass etc. You don't want that stuff sitting in the back of an SUV.

This is the main thing holding me up. Maybe I should just invest in some tarps. :-)

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you are a smaller fella you might be happy with the Xterra. You might check out owner reviews online.

I am a big fat man, so I prefer full sized vehicles, although I have never understood the concept behind the Avalanche.
I think it is a poor compromise between a truck and a SUV.

If it were me, I would go for either a full size truck or SUV, and not try to have both, with a vehicle that doesn't seem to either very well.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
peeps_75dodged200powerwagon-1.jpg This is a 4x4 hunting vehicle. IMO the 2 you listed are .......well lacking a bit of something.:wave:

Latest posts

Top Bottom