$5 Debit Card fees????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anyone plans to switch banks, let me know! I can assist with that :wink2:

Please see my thread: http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?127971-Recommend-a-new-local-bank-or-credit-union

I'll be honest, as far as customer service goes, I've always been satisfied with BoA. Their business practices? Not so much. But, there have been 2 times in the last 10 years I've had an account with them where I go to withdraw money from an ATM or make a purchase and I get declined to do so. Initially frustrating and embarrassing, since it appears to any witnesses that you don't have any money. Knowing I had money both times, I'd call customer service only to find out that either my check card or my account has been compromised and they've put a freeze on any account activity. Both times I think were a string of BoA attacks, rather than my account directly. Once they said random accounts were getting hit from overseas for amounts ranging from just a few cents to $3.

Now, I would have appreciated some sort of notification, even if just an automated call, but the important thing is my account was locked down. Either way, I've been wanting to get away from them for a few years now because of their shady ethics and this $5/month charge is the last push I need to go.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a cheap @ss, but not going to pay for debit card or bank fees.

Also won't pay for credit card annual fees. We also pay our CC off every month.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I havent read any articles on this but is the fee for all checking accts with debit cards or just for the customers who use their cards? I have three banks and BOA already has a minorty share of my holdings so I dont mind closing out if I have too.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
thanks for the info soonerwings.

I already use my cc when I purchase anything but that just solidifies that I will never use a debit card from BOA.

hemipowered22z

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use a bank south of the red river. It pays interest on my checking account balance monthly, refunds all ATM fees even if I use other bank ATMs, has free checking, etc..

I know alot of folks in Ok get butthurt about it, but there are many things in Texas that are much better than we have here. The bank is one of them.

TFCU's Click acct has these same perks. So I would say that isnt better then OK since we have it too. :-) I dropped BOA about 8 yrs ago and never looked back. I use TFCU and USAA, very happy with both.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's going to spread to other banks. Thank Senator Dodd and his banking "reform" that limited the fees that banks can charge retailers for using their credit card service and other charges revolving around the services and products that banks offer.

Just goes to show that artificially limiting prices just results in the revenue stream being shifted to another source. Viola! Increased debit card fees....

Face it, banks offer a service, a product, or a convienience to consumers just like every other business. If you don't like what they charge you can find another bank or keep your money under your mattress and see how that works out for you...just don't expect good things when the government starts meddling in it.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep accounts at multiple banks. That way if they have any technical issues, I dont have any problems getting to some kind of cash.

My mortgage is with BOA. When I was looking to refinance, they offered me the best rate. They had bought Country Wide, so I just stayed with them. Now Country Wide was a joke about fees. I was splitting my mortgage payments into twice each month to coincide with my paydays. Country Wide was charging me $2 for each electronic withdrawl. Then they doubled their fees to $4! The only way to escape the fee was to refinance somewhere else. They knew they had you by the man fries.

I bank with Chase who bought Bank One who bought Friendly National Bank. They give me free checking as long as I have either one direct deposit or 10 debit card transactions each month. Their online banking is very nice. I even use it to transfer funds to my credit union so I can have a wider variety of free ATMs to utilize.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out Citibanks new fee's, if you have less than 6k its a $15 dollar a month fee. On their mid-tier checking, if you have less than 15k, its $20 a month!

Latest posts

Top Bottom