$50.00 ladder stands at Academy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used the tripod stands for many years, and normally upgrade the seats to one of the seats one can get at wally world that have a cushion.
They all have a rail around them, so if a quick nap is necessary, one doesn't have to worry about falling.
I get the model with the full cover and put some carpet scraps on the floor to keep the cold out as much as possible.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't you only leave your stand on public land for 1 or 2 weeks? I was thinking it said something about that in the regs, but I never really paid attention since I've always hunted public land from ground blinds.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The $99 two man buddy stand at Academy ain't bad either, and to me, a better deal (safer - if you wrap some burlap pretty tight around the frame, it would arrest your fall long enough to wake you up and grab something if you fell asleep! But the $49 plain jane 50' ladder stand looks good too. Just use your harness. Funny how Academy regular prices beat Bass Pro clearance sale prices, let alone their "ordinary sale" prices.

Say, that gives me an idea for a temp sig line change....

Got two of 'em. They are too shallow, and must be set up to lean you back a little. Otherwise, they'll fit two dwarfs or one fat guy. Good deal for the price. A friend fell down the ladder of one two years ago, and broke both legs. Not the fault of the stand, but still not a nice day. Sunday I was on the same tree and trimmed all the new growth for archery season, the only season where I still use a stand. Otherwise, I use a ground blind. Safer, warmer, and more comfortable, and if you fall, it's outta a chair. I do use a fall guy safety device. Look it up, and you'll probably buy one. CB

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't you only leave your stand on public land for 1 or 2 weeks? I was thinking it said something about that in the regs, but I never really paid attention since I've always hunted public land from ground blinds.

Per the regulations for WMAs.

Deer Stands

No permanent type stands may be constructed in or on a tree nor shall cleats be driven into a tree to gain access to a portion of any tree nor shall any person hunt from such a stand. Only portable type stands, that do not require the use of any fastening device that has the potential of damaging a tree, are permitted. Stands shall be removed from the tree immediately following the closure of the hunt for which they were used with a limit of no more than 14 days. Stands remaining after this time become the property of the Department to be disposed of in the best practical manner.

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't go wrong for $50. Yeah they're not the most comfortable but they do what they are supposed to. We have three of them on our lease and generally set them up on tree lines. They are great where there are no real good trees for hang on's.

Latest posts

Top Bottom