6.5 142 smk = ? hunting bullet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 260 remington savage with a varmint contour barrel & it shoots 142 smk's great. I would like to try & find a hunting bullet that has very simillar bearing surface without having to buy 3 or 4 different bullets to try. I got it on paper with some factory remington 140's & IT WAS A PATTERN. 6+ in group
any sugestions or anyone want to split some 6.5 booolits so you can work up loads etc as, or trade booolits, I have a number of different calibers
thinking of trying sierra game kings or berger hunting booolits

Thoughts ideas? trades?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

fluxed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Bergers are nice! The whole concept is just awesome. That begin said my buddy shot a deer at 1018 yards this past season with a 30-8mm using the SMK. It was dead right there.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SMK's will upset and fragment. I would personally give them a try on Oklahoma sized deer With that being said though, they are not recommended for hunting, mainly due to the reduced penetration depth they exhibit. I haven't tried the 140 Amax, but as stated above, the 155 A-max in 308 will destroy a deer.

As a side note, the 260 can be a finicky cartridge to load for.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have killed deer with .22-250 with .55 grain Sierra Gamekings. Your 142 grain SMKs would do better on a deer. Don't take a real long shot or try to shoot thru any bigger bones and I think it would do fine. It isn't the same thing but I have killed a few prairie dogs with .52 grain SMKs from a .22-250. They blew up the pdogs as well as my buddies v-max and TNT bullets. The SMKs have thinner jackets I have read. Shot placement is more important than bullet construction.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
140 SST should be the closest hunting bullet to SMK. With that said - I'd just shoot SMKs in the boiler or neck (NOT shoulder).

I've taken deer with 123 Amax (6.5 Lapua) at 360 yards - in the boiler worked flawless. With SST I'd put it through the bone (the one I shot in the neck basically got decapitated).

Latest posts

Top Bottom