6.5 creedmoor vs 308win

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter shot one through the lungs that run off with no blood and went about 150 yards we just happened to come across it when we were leaving I know this can happen with other calibers too but it hasn’t happened with the 6.5 yet I have had friends had the same thing happen more than once with 308 and all 3 quit using them
What bullet?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you get a good blood trail with the creedmore? What yardage are y’all shooting at? I own several 6.5 Grendel’s which is supposed to be a great round for the ar platform. I hesitate to use it because I read stories of hunters not finding a blood trail, most saying the deer dont go far after being shot. I shot one with my 223 and not a drop of blood but only went about 20 yards. I’d hate to lose a deer cause I couldn’t find a blood trail.
Lack of a blood trail doesn’t mean anything in my experience, because I’ve shot way too many deer with 250-300 grain bullets out of a 50 cal muzzleloader and not got a drop of blood.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see a lot of deer shot that don't bleed but are dead.
I have a .243 that shoots the 95 grain Win XP very well. It expands pretty quickly inside the deer and rarely exits. If placed in the boiler room, doe rarely go more than 75-80 yards. If it its thick stuff it can make tracking difficult. I have trained dog that makes it no problem. I continue to use it because of the accuracy.

I have a friend that uses a 110 grain VMax in his 6.8spc. It literally turns the inside to jelly but once again it doesn't exit and blood trail is pretty thin if any.

Mature bucks can go 200 yards with a lot of lung damage. One lung hit bucks can live hours and even survive if its at the end of the lung.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because people think they need a big heavy bullet to kill a whitetail? :laugh6:
Maybe, but my theory is that people bought into the marketing hype and are let down that it‘s just another “good” caliber and not the holy grail of calibers and that shooting a 6.5CM doesn’t automatically compensate for their lack of skill and/or lack of practice. :anyone:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all of my shots on my property due to thick trees and vegetation are going to be under 100 yds and probably under 50. The doe I took this year was standing at 30 yards. My Ruger Gunsite Scout 308 is perfect for me. The Scout format is great for quick target acquisition, The 308 cor-lokt soft point bullets work amazingly for me. So I would focus more on what/where you are hunting to make the decision.

Latest posts

Top Bottom