6.5 Creedmoor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of buzz about the 6.5 Creedmoor.
I've been reading about it for days now.

Why? What's so special about it? What am I missing? How much different is it from 260 Rem?

They claim you can load 140gn VLDs in short action - so can 260.

They claim the neck is long and will support VLD - but it is identical to 260.

They claim it's more efficient - not according to published/tested loads; with smaller case capacity you can push it to 260 level with MUCH higher pressure and therefore throat erosion.

They claim you can buy match-grade ammo over-the-counter - ok, they got me here, but
1) it seems that Hornady chose NOT to make 260
2) at $26/box - logical choice would be to reload anyway

Please chime in.

P.S. 6.5x47 barrel on order BTW :)

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like Hornady wanted their own 6.5 cartridge for the AR-10 platform to market. I think they also touted having reloaders in mind by publishing their load data and using off the shelf powders.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I've been keeping an eye on the 6.5 Creedmoor since it was announced. No first hand experience with the round, but from everything I've seen (videos) and read on the round, it seems pretty awesome.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No idea yet - the barrel is threaded for small shank Savage - so it can go in my Savage or Marlin XS7, or maybe I'll build a dual port savage like've wanted to for a while.

Latest posts

Top Bottom