6.8 SPC AR-15 for Deer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I chose the 6.8 for the reviews off of the 6.8 forum and the fact that I was wanting a bigger bullet for my young kids to shoot deer with. The AR platform is perfect for kids with a collapsible stock. My kids start shooting the SW 15-22, which has the same set up as a regular AR. They loved it and made the switch seamlessly. It also helped that I wanted a Wilson Combat and they offered it in 6.8. Now, my kids won't shoot anything else, very little recoil, familiar platform and a gun they think is cool in a very accurate rifle. Read some of the hunting reviews on 6.8 forum and I bet you'll be sold on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good points!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I chose the 6.8 for the reviews off of the 6.8 forum and the fact that I was wanting a bigger bullet for my young kids to shoot deer with. The AR platform is perfect for kids with a collapsible stock. My kids start shooting the SW 15-22, which has the same set up as a regular AR. They loved it and made the switch seamlessly. It also helped that I wanted a Wilson Combat and they offered it in 6.8. Now, my kids won't shoot anything else, very little recoil, familiar platform and a gun they think is cool in a very accurate rifle. Read some of the hunting reviews on 6.8 forum and I bet you'll be sold on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The heart of my build is a Wilson Combat 16" barrel. It's crazy accurate.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure how a gun (or round) designed to kill humans would be less appropriate for killing deer? I mean... we're not talking about bull moose or bear, here. They're not wearing body armor or have exoskeletons made of unobtanium.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I might add that the person behind the gun must be proficient enough to know where to place the bullet, then do it. The gun must have had sufficient time working with it to be as accurate as possible. As hunters, we should respect our quarry enough to not allow the animal or fowl to suffer needlessly. We should harvest with respect, NOT just kill. Killing should be left on the battlefield. My .02.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I came to 6.8 as a hunting caliber a little backwards. When I built my 6.8 AR, I was looking for a carbine for SHTF/home/neighborhood defense. (Thank goodness it's never been needed for that role.) When choosing a caliber, I opted for 6.8 over 5.56 and others as it offered the secondary benefit of being a great mid-sized game caliber. I could also acquire a 6.8 barrel for my Contender. As stated above, had I sought to build a single-purpose deer hunting rifle, I would have gone to a bolt action and some different caliber.

My only real complaint is the lack of 6.8 ammo on store shelves. I load off and on, but lately have been just buying factory 6.8 when I see good deals on it. That means that I have to order it in and have it shipped. Other than that, I love my 6.8 AR and could use it for any North American game that I'd realistically pursue.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I came to 6.8 as a hunting caliber a little backwards. When I built my 6.8 AR, I was looking for a carbine for SHTF/home/neighborhood defense. (Thank goodness it's never been needed for that role.) When choosing a caliber, I opted for 6.8 over 5.56 and others as it offered the secondary benefit of being a great mid-sized game caliber. I could also acquire a 6.8 barrel for my Contender. As stated above, had I sought to build a single-purpose deer hunting rifle, I would have gone to a bolt action and some different caliber.

My only real complaint is the lack of 6.8 ammo on store shelves. I load off and on, but lately have been just buying factory 6.8 when I see good deals on it. That means that I have to order it in and have it shipped. Other than that, I love my 6.8 AR and could use it for any North American game that I'd realistically pursue.

SGA has lots of S&B 6.8 in stock right now, i buy the S&B green box FMJ, shoot em up and reload using different bullets. have around 200 boxes of S&B now, will likely lay in some more

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bought a ton of Federal XM68 90 grain Gold Dot when I found it on sale. I fully intended to shoot a bunch of it to get some brass to reload. (It was such a good deal, I could buy good live ammo for just over the cost of brass.)
The ammo has been 1 moa accurate out to 300 and bullet is great for hunting, I haven't seen the need to reload yet.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i had 100 boxes of the xm68, and 110 boxes of the AE, sold them all to get more green box S&B, i enjoy reloading and it keeps me out of all the trouble you can get into when you're 71 LOL, i have 1000's of different 6.8 bullets, including the 90gr gold dots

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i had 100 boxes of the xm68, and 110 boxes of the AE, sold them all to get more green box S&B, i enjoy reloading and it keeps me out of all the trouble you can get into when you're 71 LOL, i have 1000's of different 6.8 bullets, including the 90gr gold dots
Can I call you Dad?

I like the SB PTS and have a bunch. I have more ammo than time right now, so reloading has kinda moved down the priority list.

Latest posts

Top Bottom