A/C coil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Typical OSA thread. Starts off about one thing and then like an old man's memory starts to wonder all over the place. :rotflmao:

Short version, turned out not to be a leak but condensation in the plenum along with a few tears in the ducts. They wanted way to much so it is going to have to wait until next year. $700 just clean the plenum and install a UAV light. $1500 to clean the plenum and repair the ducts, $4000 to replace the plenum and repair the ducts.

Sadly my health and size (along with my wife and doctor) prevent me from getting in the attic to repair the ducts, which only seem to be torn on the outside.
Highway robbery actually probably fine!

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure how tech savvy you are rickn, but I put in a smart thermostat (ecobee 3) a couple years ago and it has a setting that runs the fan for like 5-10 minutes every hour even if it's not calling for condenser to come on. That way it keeps stale air circulating and dries out the coil overnight when the ac isn't needed as much. As long as you have a hot common (blue) wire or run it off batteries it is easy to switch out from old thermostat. Just don't fall for the con of a free thermostat from the power companies cause in the terms they have the right to do "slight" adjustments to your temp setpoints during high demand situations.
You might even try to pimp out those sexy toes to pay for it! Bwahaha!😜😜

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also since you said this all started with the duct cleaning service might I suggest looking into this company:
https://www.filtersusa.com/furnace-filters-honeywell-magnet-fc40r1169-14x30-mfc40r1169-1I started using these during the summer time when max filtration and cfm are needed. They fit in the same spot as a 1" filter, but are either 3-4" deep. The company seems to be re-doing their web page so I guess you have to call or email for orders.
During the winter I just use a good 1" filter because my unit uses a lower fan setting on heat.
Good luck getting your system squared away and I agree that us plump old people have no business crawling around in the attic! 😆😆😆

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Until the electric bill arrives!
My electric bill dropped sharply when we went to window AC units. YMMV, of course. Our heat pump system was installed by Drabek & Hill a few years after we bought the house. $6900 in 2005 or so. They didn't wire it correctly, as the kit was sitting in the back of the closet unattached. Lasted about 5 or 6 years, but we'd had a financial disastger in 2010, so couldn't afford to have it serviced, and it died badly. I've been quoted $10K to replace it. Been using window AC units, and a few years ago, I put in a Mr. Cool mini-split system. Only since the bad cold spell last year has my electric bill been over $150. Every couple of years I'll replace one or two of the window AC units. Still under $2K. Had to deal with ACS at work, and my boss, who was an AC service tech for decades, hated them. I watched him have to fix their errors several times. So there are two companies I won't do business with anymore.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And for today's issue, we have a leak in our A/C A frame coil or whatever it is called. We had our ducts cleaned because of my breathing issues and they found it with their scope.
Does anyone know if it can be repaired or will we have to buy a new heat & air unit? Thanks in advance.
sounds a bit fishy - re finding a leak in the coil while cleaning ducts. is your AC still cooling ok? -- if it is they are probably feeding you BS as your freon would have leaked out over the winter -- at a minimum I would get a second opinion

Latest posts

Top Bottom