A/C coil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That makes sense. They think it is a leak because mold is forming on the coil. The unit is cooling just fine so it could be some other kind of leak.
Mold form sounds like dirty coils that just need to be brushed off and cleaner put on them. Sounds like he is trying to up charge you to me. Like another poster said your drip pan line may also need to have a brush run through it. If it starts to get a block it can back up and cause issues.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sounds a bit fishy - re finding a leak in the coil while cleaning ducts. is your AC still cooling ok? -- if it is they are probably feeding you BS as your freon would have leaked out over the winter -- at a minimum I would get a second opinion
it is a condensate leak not refrigerant

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My unit was only 3 years old when that coil started leaking. I had the same company put a new one in and some (labor) may have been included in my warranty. I know that I was happy!
Okay, warranty replacement. What kind of system do you have. I had one line I was selling that had a rash of leaks. I lost my butt replacing them for cost only. No labor charge. An A coil shouldn’t leak in 3 years and need referrals. Lost my butt and no longer sell the equipment even after the said they corrected the problem

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, warranty replacement. What kind of system do you have. I had one line I was selling that had a rash of leaks. I lost my butt replacing them for cost only. No labor charge. An A coil shouldn’t leak in 3 years and need referrals. Lost my butt and no longer sell the equipment even after the said they corrected the problem

It's a Rheem, I believe 3.5 ton unit.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a Rheem, I believe 3.5 ton unit.
Figured. I was a RUUD dealer which is exactly the same. They just stick different tags on them. Replaced at least a couple dozen. I was pissed, but took care of my customers so they wouldn’t be pissed. Sucked. I had been a dealer with them for a long time and my Dad was since ‘75 and was good stuff.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like saddlebum said. It sounds like a condensate leak. Clear drain. Run fan and dry it out. Sounds like it’s an upflow If it’s really moldy spray bleach water in the walls of the return.

Latest posts

Top Bottom