A little clarification on Mr. Bergdahl...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm so tired of all the news media now calling him a deserter...:smack:

If he walked away from his post..AND..went to the aid, comfort, and allegiance of the enemy, isn't he a ..DEFECTOR??!!

Deserter: to leave and run away

Defector: to give up allegiance in exchange for allegiance to another.

Yes he is a deserter....but to define him correctly..he would be a defector.

If you flee a Communist (or whatever else) country...you're considered a defector...just like the folks fleeing Cuba, North Korea,....etc. Special requests and privileges are given to them. Simple desertion, aren't they returned...like illegal aliens. .or at least their supposed to be returned/deported.

The reason I ask, isn't the penalty more severe for defection than desertion in the military? Or at least it use to be.

So now, when you hear talk show host, news reporters, and anyone else...toss in defector.

Rant off.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. Snowden would be a deserter but this guy is a defector. Although Snowden wasn't military he was a Gov. man.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be more than symantics???

A speeding ticket and a car crash/wreck aren't the same. They do involve a vehicle but there are laws governing fines (ticket) all the way to vehicular homicide.

Just curious why the media likes to use deserter instead of defector.

A lectern is not a podium.

A car is not a pick-up.

A whale is not a fish.

A defector needs a more severe punishment than just a deserter.

Running to Canada to avoid the draft is not the same as running across a war zone to either aid or receive anything from the enemy.

I just wish the media would correct that.

Yea, I know, wishful thinking.

Last edited:

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because, so far, the accusation is that he just walked away from his post and was captured, not that he left with the intent of making contact with the other side.

so your not buying the story about the radio intercept about "an American looking for an English translator so he could meet with the Taliban"?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think we can call him a defector yet; it's not clear that his intent was to join the Taliban, or that he was even positively deserting from the Army--it's entirely possible that he was just a batsh!t fruitcake nutjob who decided to go walkabout (according to news reports this morning, he did this twice before, and at least once was before they deployed to Afghanistan) and got caught by the bad guys.

I think it's clear that his brothers in arms thought he was deserting, but who really knows what someone else is thinking?

Latest posts

Top Bottom