A Looooooong rifle season comes to an end

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the deer were moving today, lots of success stories including this one...

Sit a stand this morning that I sat a couple times since opening day and haven't seen a thing from. I didn't get the grass knocked down before season started, so visibility is low at best. If they keep their heads down you never see them. But I had a warm fuzzy feeling this morning knowing the wind was going to be mild.
8:00 on the nose a button buck sticks his head out of the cedars and cuts over to the neighbors. I watched him till he disappeared and figured I probably better get my gun up in case something else comes out.
Just as I get my hand on the gun I catch movement out of the corner of my eye. It's antlers, and it's moving on. I don't have time to get my gun to my shooting shoulder, so I throw it up on the right. I fumbled with the safety and finally got my fingers out of my gloves, and my dominant eye closed (which I've been practicing). I get crosshairs on him and all I can see is the rack and the tip of his ear through the grass. I gave him the mouth bleet with no success, and finally yelled HEY! and he stopped and looked. I could see he was fairly tall antlered, and a mature deer. I picked out, best I could tell, what was the kill zone and squeezed one off (not easy to squeeze wrong handed).
I was sure I hit him, and thought I separated my shoulder and was real surprised my scope kiss wasn't bleeding. Waited about 15 minutes and got down and headed east into the sun and was getting paranoid because I couldn't see any blood. Just as I was about to turn around and try to find some blood when I saw white belly fur. It was a double lung, right in the wheelhouse, just where it was supposed to go. I turned around to try and figure out why there was no blood and there's a highway a blind man could follow. the reflection off the frost and looking into the sun I didn't see a thing. 65 yard shot (wrong handed) and he made it another 20 down hill. I was alone all day and the wife had the good camera, so cell phone without me in the picture is all I have.
I've hunted every morning and evening since opening day except Thanksgiving evening. that's 22 hunts in 13 days, cold, wind, heat be damned. This is the only opportunity I've had at a shooter buck. Last week or even this weekend, I'd have let him walk but I couldn't do it today.
4 year old as best I can tell. I have no trail cam pictures of this deer, and it was less than 200 yards from a feeder with a camera. Tarsals were smelly still, but not wet. I think the rut is over here.
ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_Photo_0052.jpg

That's my Browning A-Bolt Medallion in .270, I love that gun.
ai981.photobucket.com_albums_ae294_tjones96761_Photo_0053.jpg

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but just from the size of the rack I would say 3.5 year old deer. Could be more accurate if I could see the body better.

Anyway, congrats, thanks for the story, and glad to see you finally scored a buck you were happy with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom