A question for all Members of OSA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would donate as much time as needed, and can afford to probably pitch to get the school an XD, Glock, M&P...whatever. Honestly, I think it would be cheaper AND better in the long run to hire two private "guards" for every school. No drug enforcement, no tattling, no police duties...just VIP protection for 600 or so little VIPs. Certify some Vets returning from the sandbox looking for a job (one that they can be proud to do), give em say $40,000 per year each (far less than a teacher with full bennie package), and have dedicated security. Yes, it costs, but I doubt more than the teacher idea. Anyway, whichever way, I support with my time and finances some form of real security in the schools.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are roughly 500-550 school districts in OKlahoma. That's "districts" not schools. Just ONE (1) paid security person per "district" would cost the state upwards of $22 million dollars. Probably would need somewhere around 2000 (rough estimate) security people to put one per school, but probably closer to 3000 or more, which would cost the state $80 million dollars using the 40K a year scenario. Don't see that happening.

Still looks like the best opportunity is to look for employees willing to step up locally.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
There are roughly 500-550 school districts in OKlahoma. That's "districts" not schools. Just ONE (1) paid security person per "district" would cost the state upwards of $22 million dollars. Probably would need somewhere around 2000 (rough estimate) security people to put one per school, but probably closer to 3000 or more, which would cost the state $80 million dollars using the 40K a year scenario. Don't see that happening.

Still looks like the best opportunity is to look for employees willing to step up locally.
We raised and spent more than that with each of the MAPS projects. Would you agree to a statewide penny sales tax to pay for this over building parks in downtown OKC? I would.
After all, its for the children.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Damn your "new math" Old Fart! I kid, but really, that's a lot on $$ for the state. But broken back down, it doesn't seem like too much per school, or even district, where the funds are raised.

Regardless, I wonder if anyone has talked to Barresi (sp) about this. If she's on board, getting local admins and / or teachers on board should be a little easier.

Stan Upchurch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
JB, as a former teacher I would be willing to support you. Now that I'm retired and living on the Oklahoma Teacher Retirement System, I'll give what I can including my time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom