AC blower question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can anyone help me here. With the AC question. :)

The blower comes on but will not come up to full speed, would that or could that be the capacitor? In need of some AC so if you can point me the right way I will find a way to get running.

Oh the fan spins freely when I reach in and spin it.

Thanks for any ideas.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It could be the fan motor or ( much less likely )the board. If it starts up on its own I'd doubt it's the cap. Elaborate on " full speed". If you go to the thermostat and set the fan to on does it help?

If it is stopped and you hand spin it does it spin on its own for quite a while it quickly come to a stop?

Is there crap in the blower? Is the return and supply vents free and all open? Have you checked for a possible collapsed return passage?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The blower comes on but will not come up to full speed, would that or could that be the capacitor? In need of some AC so if you can point me the right way I will find a way to get running.

Thanks for any ideas.

Good catch.. ;)

Could be , why would you think its a cap?

The fan shouldnt be Too free , theres a moter on it , could be windings, bearings.

Caps are pretty cheap, if you want to remove and go to supply house.

How old is it.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks for any ideas.

Had same issue 2 weeks ago. It was the capacitor in my case. If you can pull it (discharge it first), take it to Locke's Supply, 39th and Portland, and they can check it for you and get you a new one. Mine was bulged and that is a good indicator that it is toast.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had same issue 2 weeks ago. It was the capacitor in my case. If you can pull it (discharge it first), take it to Locke's Supply, 39th and Portland, and they can check it for you and get you a new one. Mine was bulged and that is a good indicator that it is toast.

This... if its bulged , replace it

Remember it holds a charge?

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It could be the fan motor or ( much less likely )the board. If it starts up on its own I'd doubt it's the cap. Elaborate on " full speed". If you go to the thermostat and set the fan to on does it help?

If it is stopped and you hand spin it does it spin on its own for quite a while it quickly come to a stop?

Is there crap in the blower? Is the return and supply vents free and all open? Have you checked for a possible collapsed return passage?

Yes I can spin it by hand and it spins for a rather long time, the bearings all sound and feel great. The motor is 20 years old so I am hoping for the cheapo repair. :) Everything is free, that was my first check, I turned it on after the storms passed here and it worked great for the first few time it cycled, then it sounded funny and was only running at about half speed.

eyecyou

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you need to replace the blower motor resistor first. Very common for high speed to go out first then start dropping the other speeds soon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you need to replace the blower motor resistor first. Very common for high speed to go out first then start dropping the other speeds soon

What would that even look like? :)

I pulled the capacitor and it tested at 2v not even close to right, so put new one in and the fan runs faster but does not sound like full speed. Then it will run for 1 minute and shut down for 2 then do it again. This is with it just set on continuous flow.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Good tip if we were talking about an automobile, on a house AC system not so much..

Check any thermo cut out sensors that may be in line with the motor. How old is the unit?

Latest posts

Top Bottom