AC blower question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd get a new blower motor and capacitor, take your old motor to Johnstone supply if your close to one and they'll fix you up, I've even seen them pull the wheel for people too!

I tried them, the cost is way out of my league. Looking at one though for about 1/3 the cost, even with shipping, same make , model and manufacturer.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok just so we are all straight.. Induction motors don't use resistors to change the speed. Look all you want and you will not find one. testing a cap for voltage won't help either. you need to be testing for micro farads. the symbol looks like "uF"

OP. It sounds like the motor is bad. If you have a Locke supply then they are going to be your best bet on in stock and price. make sure the voltage speed and shaft are right. depending on the way it mounts to the cage you might also need an bracket if you can not re-use the one you currently have. Unless the cap is new go ahead and replace it also and keep the old one as a spare ( if it is the right size and is known to be good)

Edit to add.

If the squirrel cage does not come off the shaft easily don't just beat on it to get it off. It is real easy to get it all screwed up

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get your new motor and like tyro said dont tear up the shaft, use kroil or wd40 then sandpaper, it will come off like butter, sometimes! Remember where all the wires go and your golden, some new motors use the yellow wire for neutral, most of the time it's white, good luck!

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of times when the small caps go bad they don't bulge. Only way to test is with a meter that reads mfd.

Hold a charge? I've never been shocked by one that didn't have power energized to the unit and have changed hundreds, but I'm not an inspector and spout bs on the interwebs.

I didnt say they would bulge , it was a quote.

an no it doesnt read mfd

and yea a capicator holds a charge

but then I just inspect the stoopid stuff You have done 100 times...probably wrong

Why you on my case ..one more time ??

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP are you in Tulsa?

I am near Ponca City, went to Lockes and it was a bust, said they could not even order one. Found a place that has just the exact one I need.

Oh I have it all apart, the cage came right off like it was new. One ground wire and one plug is all it took to dismantle. That and a total of 10 screws.

Thanks to all of you for the help, should have it in my hands on the 14th. :)

Now I just gots to keep all my sweetness frm melting until then. :)

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt say they would bulge , it was a quote.

an no it doesnt read mfd

and yea a capicator holds a charge

but then I just inspect the stoopid stuff You have done 100 times...probably wrong

Why you on my case ..one more time ??

Other things aside, the old capacitor would not hold a charge, zippo, notta, nuttin'. Not going to check the new one with my fingers. :)

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am near Ponca City, went to Lockes and it was a bust, said they could not even order one. Found a place that has just the exact one I need.

Oh I have it all apart, the cage came right off like it was new. One ground wire and one plug is all it took to dismantle. That and a total of 10 screws.

Thanks to all of you for the help, should have it in my hands on the 14th. :)

Now I just gots to keep all my sweetness frm melting until then. :)

WoW. Im surprised that Lock didn't have anything but then again Ive never been to the one in ponca city. Let us know if you need any more help when you get the motor.

Esoog

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess this latest heat spell is killing capacitors, had to replace one in our main unit Tuesday. Went to Locke (Yukon) because it was right down the street from work, they didn't have the size I needed, not to mention they would have wanted $60 for a 80x7.5 440v cap!!! OMG, no way would I have paid that, even if they had it in stock. Ended up driving to Carrier Enterprises off of MacArthur and got one for $22.

Latest posts

Top Bottom