Academy to pull modern sporting rifles off display

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Response from Academy:

Thank you for contacting Academy Sports + Outdoors. We are currently selling modern sports rifles, but out of respect for the victims and the tragic situation in Orlando, we have chosen not to broadly advertise or display these items. Our selection varies by store and your best source for current inventory availability is by checking with your local store.

As a family and community focused retailer, Academy Sports + Outdoors is constantly evaluating our business to ensure the safety and satisfaction of our customers. Our decision to remove modern sports rifles from display while continuing to make them available to those customers legally eligible to purchase them reflects that commitment.

Sincerely,

Lisa E.
Customer Service Associate
Academy Customer Care
Academy Sports + Outdoors

At least they should have the cojones to own up to what they are doing. Attempting to avoid emotional backlash from what is going on. They just want to make sure they don't have a negative light cast on them. It's PR, plain and simple. Out of respect for their families. Yeah right. I don't see car companies closing up shop when someone decides to plow their vehicle into a local parade, into a crowded downtown, or just brazenly decided to drive it while drunk.

Lest they be labeled an enabler of the "evil black rifle".

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Haha, I got a chuckle about a speech I watched where Obama was trying to dispel the notion that "they're coming for our guns". One of the things he pointed out that more guns have been sold while he was president than any other time. But the way he phrased you would almost construe it as him taking credit for it like it was something for which to be praised. He knows and we all know it happened because everybody panicked and started buying everything they could get their hands on, not because he is some gun rights advocate.
This is a great example of why government should remain small and limited. There are always unintended consequences of a government action. In this case, the Obama administration's rhetoric on gun control has had the exact opposite effect of their intentions - more guns and ammunition in the hands of civilians than any other time in history.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Response from Academy:

Thank you for contacting Academy Sports + Outdoors. We are currently selling modern sports rifles, but out of respect for the victims and the tragic situation in Orlando, we have chosen not to broadly advertise or display these items. Our selection varies by store and your best source for current inventory availability is by checking with your local store.

As a family and community focused retailer, Academy Sports + Outdoors is constantly evaluating our business to ensure the safety and satisfaction of our customers. Our decision to remove modern sports rifles from display while continuing to make them available to those customers legally eligible to purchase them reflects that commitment.

Sincerely,

Lisa E.
Customer Service Associate
Academy Customer Care
Academy Sports + Outdoors

Ummm.., Academy hasn't been family owned since 2011, when KKR bought them. Maybe they hired Dick's PR department.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ummm.., Academy hasn't been family owned since 2011, when KKR bought them. Maybe they hired Dick's PR department.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1466143366186.jpg
    FB_IMG_1466143366186.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 170

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Said it several times, I don't understand why people shop at chains for firearms. You get some good deals here or there maybe.... but it's just not worth it to me.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Said it several times, I don't understand why people shop at chains for firearms. You get some good deals here or there maybe.... but it's just not worth it to me.
I don't. Trying to think if I've ever... I think I tried to look at a couple once, but they acted like such pricks (Academy, 81st/Hwy75 in Tulsa) or disinterested (BPS Tulsa) that I basically wrote them off. Same goes for SportsWorld.

We have plenty of good places to shop just from retailers who are members of this community.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Said it several times, I don't understand why people shop at chains for firearms.
Selection and availability, plain and simple. While I'd certainly prefer to buy from a local supplier the simple fact is that they don't usually have what I'm looking for available when I'm looking for it. I've been able to score a couple of items through special order from one dealer, and by using Davidson's "Gun Genie" for a couple more from another, but if it's something I particularly want to fondle before I purchase there often aren't any options within an hour's drive other than the chains.

Latest posts

Top Bottom