Acceptable Hair Styles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only reason I am asking is it appears my office allows mohawks, but I, well I have a friend, we will call him frank, who is an engineer and gets sent home for showing up to work:

cdn.bleacherreport.net_images_root_slides_photos_000_912_151_a06fdff9365b995af7316db5067dab9e6.jpg

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A beard and a mohawk... two different things. And I agree, office life is a major drain, but if you choose that line of work, shouldnt you look the part?

Sure, and like I say, the tone of this thread just reminded me how asinine I find some things in this vein to be. I'm not outraged at no-liberty-spike policy or anything.

Most sticklers to office dress code/grooming look like total slobs compared to how their grandfathers looked anyways. It's all relative. Part of me thinks the fanciness of the old days was neat, and part of me thinks these modern office decorum nazis are sickly propping up some homogenous culture of lameness systematically designed to psychologically break a person, stifle their individuality, and strip them of his or her masculinity or femininity. :D

I work with an even mix of engineers/PMs/vague-title-on-vague-buisness-card guys and tattooed/crazy-haired/crazy-bearded blue collar guys and with both types I pretty much only care if the words coming out of their mouth are semi-polite and semi-helpful. Of course I grew up around bikers and musicians so the image of a "normal looking adult" that was burned into my head as a child is skewed.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It'd be totally kosher in my office. And our employer is business casual, meeting with vendors and customers. Just dress appropriately (logo shirt if meeting with external contacts, khakis, etc) and be polite and any hair styles are good. Same with tattoos and piercings (as long as the tattoo does not have nudity or vulgarity in it).

You'll frequently see people in a button down and chinos and loafers, with sleeve tattoos or gauged ears or dreads . Or a female in a pant suit with pink hair pulled up in a bun and a tattoo on the back of her neck. Hell, I have a tattoos on my upper arm, wrist, and back of my hand. No one cares but they give me hell if I wear a tie just because :D

We won't discriminate against someone who say... has a glass eye or is bald or had been disfigured in an accident. Those are arguably as unprofessionally presentable as a tattoo or a Mohawk. So we don't judge. Why sweat it?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most sticklers to office dress code/grooming look like total slobs compared to how their grandfathers looked anyways. It's all relative.

Indeed. You really think this poor sap in wrinkled, oversized clothes and undershirt

www.undershirtguy.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_10_bad_example_business_casual_wearing_undershirt.jpg

looks MORE professional than Nick Wooster because ol' Woo has some ink?

[Broken External Image]

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would only matter what your "profession" is. But I sure would not want to have a guy giving me a tattoo wearing a custom Italian made 3 piece suit.

Really? I'd get a tat from that guy just because of the eccentric value of it. This is assuming he has no tats and is as good as any other artist. That'd be cool. That being said, I'm not a big tat fan.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im currently testing the boundries of hair and beard in my office.so far I haven't drawn the bosses ire,but he never liked me much any way

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I ran my own business, I wouldn't care if somebody had their face covered in tattoos. As long as it's not blatantly offensive artwork (swastikas, kak-n-ballz, etc), all that would matter to me is how well they perform their work. If I ran a customer service oriented business, I understand some customers are uneducated and afraid of these types of people, but perhaps I'm better off not having those people as my customers any way. Can't say that's a stance that creates a successful business, but that doesn't change how I feel. I find it funny that people have no problem eating a nice meal from a gourmet restaurant cooked up by a sweaty dude covered in ink, but yet would refuse to do a mortgage with the same guy at his day job.

In my office, there's a guy with a semi-sleeve and another dude with gauged ears, but nothing crazy on either one of them and nobody has a mohawk, so I have no idea what the policy is. We also don't deal with the public.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked for lawyers, politicians, judges and people whose image to their clients mattered. In fact, it was their image that sold their sometimes not so great services (politicians and judges, anyone??) to their clients ... You had better look professional, in the traditional sense of the word, if you wanted to continue to receive a paycheck.

That said, I have tats you can't see unless I'm in a state of undress completely inappropriate for the Monday-Friday 8-5 grind, I have multiple piercings most of which no one but GC will ever see (even had my tongue pierced for a while but wore a spacer at work) and I enjoy testing boundaries ... BUT NOT AT WORK ...

Seriously, this is one of the things wrong with the world today. You are not special to anyone but your mom ... Narrowing your job prospects to car buffer at Red Carpet or fry cook and busboy at some dive in Valley Brook is not "showing your individuality and creativity", it's just dumb ... Grow the F up, put some neat, clean clothes on, wash your hair, shave and look like you care about yourself for 8 hours a day ... Sheesh ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom