Actual poachers this time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After an overzealous neighbor called me in last week for alleged "road hunting" on the ranch I live on, I quit having my coffee in my normal spot in the morning just to shut them up. Upon doing this, the actual road hunters moved in. The night before Thanksgiving, we saw spotlights in the pasture on the other side of the river. So we call the sheriff and load up and head over there. We find a truck creeping down the road with only one person in it, suspected to be the pickup vehicle. They haul ass of course. Never found the trespassers, only their tracks. Figured they saw us coming, killed the lights, and jumped on the neighbor to meet their pickup at the highway. Next day, we've got a dead momma cow in the pasture. Idiots tore up the fence, trespassed, spotlighted, and killed a cow. It annoys me a little that the neighbors called me in, when I was just watching over the place as requested, then actual poachers come in in my absence and end up killing livestock for no reason. I hope that karma visits these low life poachers ten fold... I would be more than happy to contribute. I have since resumed my "road hunting" just to know who and what is coming down that road.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that's bullsh!t. We lose at least 1 cow every year to the same ****. Anyone who's ever been out at night with a spotlight looking for that young heifer that didn't come to feed cause she was laid up calving can damn sure tell the difference between a cow and a deer. If there eyes are 12 inches apart it ain't a :censored: deer! City people got no sense.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed... Even worse than city people, I am pretty sure it was just some local yocal without a lick of sense. Like you said, same thing happens every year here. Which is one reason I stake the place out this time of year. Last year we had one that was calving right by the road, and we could see where she dropped the calf. But the calf was no where to be found. Not a lot of places to hide in a wide open meadow either. Got to looking around and found tracks on the road where some low life pulled up, jumped the fence and grabbed the little calf just hours after it was born. There are some low life people in this world, sadly.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. Maybe you should put some trail cams out, if they come back you might be able to catch them or their truck.

Hide the cameras well, or they'll steal 'em. I think we've lost three in the last two years. Now we have cameras watching other cameras, but nobody has stolen anything lately.

May have goten the worst ones stopped by calling a parent with some evidence found after a cabin break-in. Near adult age children, fortunately not vandalistic. CB

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ain't always city folk - got some of them "good ol' country trash" nearby.

I've heard some folks around here say "they didn't shoot the cow by accident, they were aiming for it." Maybe, but hard for me to believe. If they were going to steal it, they're a lot easier to load while still alive; and you can't get dead cattle processed. If they were shooting them just for fun, why shoot just one? Never heard any reports of road-shot cattle across the country side.
I gotta believe some idiot just can't tell the difference. Hopped the fence to claim his trophy and said "Aw man, not again..."

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Atleast you can hope the fence was tore up cause one of them got their balls hung on it!

There are some stupid and/or disrespectful people out there and they always seem to make problems for us that are above them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom