Advice buying a truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem I have had with my Ford HD type trucks type trucks is the fuel injectors going out at around 150,000 and the tranny sucks for towing real heavy loads. I have found that the Dodge HD have one heck of a transmission for pulling leaving the Fords in the dust (I have Fords). I have a 2002 GMC 3500 dually that I pull horses with and drive daily that is gas, it get 12-14 between Pumpkin Center and lawton/Duncan and has had no issues at all. Works great for small loads, but anything heavier and I use one of the diesal trucks.
How does the Ford transmission suck?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having just gotten out of the diesel crowd, I wouldnt buy another diesel unless I NEEDED one. I never hauled heavy enough to actually NEED a diesel, and sure it was nice when I did haul a truck or something else to not even know it was there, but the novelty wore off quick for me. It was a beast, until it wasnt and in my luck it seems I had a bunch of issues at the worst time possible and it really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I wouldnt touch a powerstroke with a 10ft pole either. One trip to the Ford dealer that has 80% of their bays filled with Powerstrokes with motors being replaced sealed the deal for me. No way. First choice would be a manual transmission Cummins.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How does the Ford transmission suck?
Compared to the Dodge, I bog down rather badly under a real load. If pulling a 32 foot trailer with round bales my Fords, both of them would rather take a break and eat a pizza than get up and go. By partners dodges just are much stronger. I am a Ford guy for my farm trucks though, they run great and last forever. But for real pulling power I think there are better options than Ford HD series. Carting around a round bale to feed horses or cattle, the Fords work GREAT, but for long hauls with loads like hauling hay to Texas, The Dodges are my go to.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To haul 3k lbs in a trailer is silly to go with a diesel.
Yeah, I haul a 3881 pound tractor with attachments that bump it well over 4K on a thousand pound trailer with zero issues using a 1/2 ton Tundra with a gas engine, 4:30 gears, 394hp. Loaded correctly, you never know its back there. Flat land is no problem.
I also pull a 36' travel trailer with an empty weight of 7800lbs. Flat land OK, but getting into the hills of eastern Ok, it works it a bit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom