Should I buy a new truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think gasoline/diesel fuel vehicles will still be available in 5 years; however, I do think EV's will be much more the commonplace and honestly working fairly well. No, I am not an EV guy and absolutely wind farms. But there is no doubt in my mind that EV's will continually get better. What I do think you will see is - as EV's become more commonplace, the cost of refined products will go up. The price of a gallon of fuel in 5-years is what will be punishment for owning a fuel-burner.
Could it be that the more EV's out there the less demand for gas, the more supply, and fuel goes down?

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'll be much help . . . but I'd say if you can afford it and you want it you should go for it.

We just replaced my wife's 2011 Toyota Highlander with a 2023 Highlander. The 2011 was in dire need of suspension repairs and the back hatch opener needed to be replaced. I wasn't interested in spending close to half of what it was worth on those repairs so we cashed out and got her a new one. Hopefully this one will last us 12 years as well.
I'm almost completely stupid about cars and trucks, and the queen and I are looking to replace her Mazda CX5 with something a little bigger, I was thinking maybe a 4 Runner. What's the difference between 4 Runner and Highlander, in a nutshell.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my conundrum. I do not need one, mine only has 117,000 miles and is a 2015. I will likely get a new one in four or five years pending I don’t now.

Here is what I am thinking, I buy one now and drive it very little and keep the old one and use it for my daily driver/hunting truck. Then in five years I have a low miles replacement.

My reasoning behind this is:
- I DO NOT want an electric vehicle and I am thinking that or a tiny engine gasoline is all that will be available thanks to the eco crazies.
- With costs going up, up and away the prices may be out of reach in five years.
- I don’t need any options other than 4x4, AC, back up camera and Sirius so whatever new fancy gadgets will come out in the future do not matter to me.

What does the brain trust at OSA think? Am I overthinking it and should I just hold off until I need one?

Discuss
If it were me, I‘d wait until I needed another truck.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a want kind of guy not so much a need kind of guy.

I trade vehicles way too often. But I cant take anything with me when I die so what the heck.

Buy what you want, drive what you want.

I could do with less, but my entire life has always been "well we will have to make do" mind set. I grew tired of that and decided if I was ever going to have anything or enjoy anything I am going to have to fork over the money to do it. So its either save forever until I get enough cash to buy it or finance it.

Either way its going to cost me money.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Imo the "electric only vehicles" era won't happen. I wouldn't even let that factor into any decision making.
I think it might happen eventually, but not in anywhere close to the timeframes some are projecting, and trucks are almost certainly going to be the last segment where the conversion happens. It's certainly not close enough for it to be a factor in purchasing decisions over the next 5-10 years.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm almost completely stupid about cars and trucks, and the queen and I are looking to replace her Mazda CX5 with something a little bigger, I was thinking maybe a 4 Runner. What's the difference between 4 Runner and Highlander, in a nutshell.
One is based on the Tacoma truck and is off road capable with a bullet proof drivetrain and the other is a mini van.

Latest posts

Top Bottom