Should I buy a new truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my conundrum. I do not need one, mine only has 117,000 miles and is a 2015. I will likely get a new one in four or five years pending I don’t now.

Here is what I am thinking, I buy one now and drive it very little and keep the old one and use it for my daily driver/hunting truck. Then in five years I have a low miles replacement.

My reasoning behind this is:
- I DO NOT want an electric vehicle and I am thinking that or a tiny engine gasoline is all that will be available thanks to the eco crazies.
- With costs going up, up and away the prices may be out of reach in five years.
- I don’t need any options other than 4x4, AC, back up camera and Sirius so whatever new fancy gadgets will come out in the future do not matter to me.

What does the brain trust at OSA think? Am I overthinking it and should I just hold off until I need one?

Discuss

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any advice for you... I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a 2017 F250 crew cab, 6.7L, 4x4, 8' bed with 35k miles on it in pretty much perfect condition. I don't need such a big truck any longer. I keep thinking I'd like to sell it and downsize to a gas 1/2 ton but I can't find anything that's in similar condition that's either affordable or doesn't have 150k to 200k+ miles on it. I can't believe how many 2 or 3 year old trucks out there have over 200k miles. It's amazing.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'll be much help . . . but I'd say if you can afford it and you want it you should go for it.

We just replaced my wife's 2011 Toyota Highlander with a 2023 Highlander. The 2011 was in dire need of suspension repairs and the back hatch opener needed to be replaced. I wasn't interested in spending close to half of what it was worth on those repairs so we cashed out and got her a new one. Hopefully this one will last us 12 years as well.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I think that just like acid rain this is just talking points . Until such time as there is a viable solution to fossil fuels we will have the types of vehicles we need to get work done. Construction, farming , lawn care and such is going to happen. Of coarse that is just my opinion.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well if you can afford it and want it, I say go get what you want and drive what you want.

Now worries about EVs, Oil and all its goodness will be here for many many more years, despite what the left wants you to believe. Now I do believe that EVs have a place and fill a area that is great for some folks. I have looked at them, a EV would actually perform well for my type of driving. It is a option I am keeping open for the future if I decide to jump. As for now I like my ICE just fine.

I like the new tech, cameras, sat radio, all of it. But thats just me. If a person does not want all of that the subscription part of the vehicle you do not have to sign up for, Sat radio, Onstar etc.

Finally all I have to add is none of us are getting out of this alive, do what you can afford, be happy and who wants to be the richest corpse in the cemetery anyway.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my conundrum. I do not need one, mine only has 117,000 miles and is a 2015. I will likely get a new one in four or five years pending I don’t now.

Here is what I am thinking, I buy one now and drive it very little and keep the old one and use it for my daily driver/hunting truck. Then in five years I have a low miles replacement.

My reasoning behind this is:
- I DO NOT want an electric vehicle and I am thinking that or a tiny engine gasoline is all that will be available thanks to the eco crazies.
- With costs going up, up and away the prices may be out of reach in five years.
- I don’t need any options other than 4x4, AC, back up camera and Sirius so whatever new fancy gadgets will come out in the future do not matter to me.

What does the brain trust at OSA think? Am I overthinking it and should I just hold off until I need one?

Discuss

At least wait till interest rates and inventory catch up to dealers. They still think they can ask sticker or above right now.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least wait till interest rates and inventory catch up to dealers. They still think they can ask sticker or above right now.

GM was advertising 0.9 a few weeks ago.

I picked up the silverado I am driving now in November last year, and did not pay a dealer add on price. The are out there a person does have to look around tho.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have any advice for you... I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a 2017 F250 crew cab, 6.7L, 4x4, 8' bed with 35k miles on it in pretty much perfect condition. I don't need such a big truck any longer. I keep thinking I'd like to sell it and downsize to a gas 1/2 ton but I can't find anything that's in similar condition that's either affordable or doesn't have 150k to 200k+ miles on it. I can't believe how many 2 or 3 year old trucks out there have over 200k miles. It's amazing.
I was in the same spot as you. Had a 12' f350 lariat 4x4 6.7l CC dually. We no longer have our 36' gooseneck, just a 20' bumper pull. It had less than 190k on it and really didn't need it anymore. Put it up for sale and it sold in 3 days for $25k. The biggest reason I wanted to sell it since I didn't need it was if that engine ever had a hiccup or fuel system crashed or turbo pooped out, I was looking at potentially spending half to two-thirds of the cost of the truck to repair. So I took $6k of that $25k and bought a loaded 02' Ford Excursion 4x4 v10. It's mint inside and out, and will pull that 20' occasionally with no issues. First time I've not had a diesel in the driveway in decades lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom