Age yourself by naming a store/business that no longer exists that you frequented.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's because Safeway didn't go away, they just changed their name to Homeland back in the late '80s or early '90s.

We had a grocery store called Grider's. It was in the same building as Target (it's now a Hobby Lobby), and you could go from Target into Grider's without going outside. Their grocery carts never left the store--they had numbered carts, and when you checked out, you got a ticket for each cart you had. You'd go get your car and pull up to the front of the store, then give the attendant your ticket(s), and they'd bring your cart(s) out so you could unload the groceries into your car.

The system worked fine, usually. One of the ladies from church was loading her groceries into her trunk when the next lady in line pulled up behind her, but not quite far enough behind, and mashed her knees between that cars' bumpers...

Actually Homeland is not Safeway and vice versa ... The Safeway Stores in Oklahoma which later became Homeland stores were part of a sell off.

Safeway still exists on the west coast. The one thing I miss about working out there were Safeway stores

ifishok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in Shawnee and we had some of the stores mentioned here in the thread. The ones I haven’t seen are listed below.

Cooks
Brannons
Benton’s cafe
Brown Derby drive in
A&W drive in
Baptist Sporting Goods
Ritz theater
Horback theater
Penthouse theater
Starlight drive in

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually Homeland is not Safeway and vice versa ... The Safeway Stores in Oklahoma which later became Homeland stores were part of a sell off.

Safeway still exists on the west coast. The one thing I miss about working out there were Safeway stores
There are still Safeways in Colorado as well.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember the name, but there was a fancy restaurant in NE OKC that served gourmet foods. We had a brother-in-law that wanted to take the family (several of us) out there for "Dinner." (Dinner in my lexicon is the noon meal, but this occasion would have been "supper" to me.)

For the life of me, I can't remember the name, but I can remember that I didn't think the meal was all that good, especially considering the prices.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom