Aging Deer Meat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Been trying something different the last couple of seasons. Normally when I get a deer, I quarter it right away, put it in a cooler full of ice and cut it up within a day or two. Last year I killed one and we couldn't get to it for a week. Kept draining the water and adding ice, and cut it up exactly 8 days after killing it. That was the best deer I have ever eaten, not gamey and extremely tender. Some people tell me deer fed a ton of corn to makes them "less gamey" but the doe I killed last year had not been eating corn. This year one of my deer is from land where they are not fed, just eat acorns, and one is from a place that puts out 50 pounds of corn per day. Aging the deer in the cooler, draining the bloody water, and then cooking the steaks medium rare, I can't tell a difference between the two, and both could be cut with a butter knife, and wasn't chewy or gamey, full of flavor and juiciness.

I think it has to do with two things. Aging the deer meat for at least 6-7 days in ice water, plus the fact that I don't cook them past medium. If you come to my house and want deer or beef steaks cooked past medium, you better have brought it with you.

How long do you age deer? How do you age it? and what difference does it make it your opinion?

Before cooking my deer steaks all I do is soak them in soy sauce for about an hour, then I put the same steak seasonings on them that I would a ribeye.

Sent from my T.A.R.D.I.S. using a Sonic Screwdriver.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would letting a deer hang in the freezing cold have the same affect? Im assuming not since its frozen. Im guessing it has to be thawed to age, right?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would letting a deer hang in the freezing cold have the same affect? Im assuming not since its frozen. Im guessing it has to be thawed to age, right?

Needs to be thawed. There are a couple reasons why aging makes the meat better, one is the meat tries to contract after the animal is killed - if meat is cut up, it contracts, or shrinks, and gets tough. Leaving it whole, prevents it from contracting, and breaks down fibers, also there are helpful bacteria that break down the meat, that won't survive freezing.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've dry aged beef in the fridge, but have not tried deer........and I should sometime. It won't age if it's frozen, so correct. Enzymes and then let the bacteria do the work.

Here's some beef hanging info, should, but only assuming it would apply to deer, although most deer don't have a fat covering like beef do. My dad would hang a deer for 3-4 days if the weather was cold enough.

http://lockerbeef.com/factors-in-aging-beef.html

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do the same thing with the ice in the cooler and change it everyday for a week or so. I do not mind a gamey taste but the wife does. I do this with the meat I am grinding up too.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually leave the quarters in the cooler for a day or two prior to doing anything with the meat. This season, with the buck I killed, I couldn't get to it for 4 days. Hands down the best venison I've had and he came from an area of natural browse and acorns. I'll be doing this intentionally from now on.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cooked a couple o thick deer steaks with breakfast today, gave one to a guy who works with me. If I had not told him it was deer he would have just thought it was lean beef. Said it was one of the best steaks he has ever had, and he is a big steak eater.

Sent from my T.A.R.D.I.S. using a Sonic Screwdriver.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been aging mine the past couple of years and I think that I can tell a big difference. Shot a doe this year and I left her on ice for 12 days. Looked like veal on the outside when I took her out. Cut some thick steaks and grilled them rare over a mesquite fire, they were top notch. 12 days is a little longer than normal, but will usually butcher at 6-9 days after harvest. I highly recommend it to someone that got a quick kill and clean dressing on a deer. Not sure if it will improve that gut shot deer that you chased for two hours over a mile in 90 degree heat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom