Aging Deer Meat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've dry aged beef in the fridge, but have not tried deer........and I should sometime. It won't age if it's frozen, so correct. Enzymes and then let the bacteria do the work.

Here's some beef hanging info, should, but only assuming it would apply to deer, although most deer don't have a fat covering like beef do. My dad would hang a deer for 3-4 days if the weather was cold enough.

http://lockerbeef.com/factors-in-aging-beef.html

Very interesting link as well. The new meat hung with meat that had been curing previously, accelerated the process.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually do the ice chest and water drain for my deer. A couple times I have hung them in a cooler until they start to grow mold slightly then cut up. Pretty good eating!

mrgecko

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can keep it below 40 Deg F you can age them up to two weeks. It is best to keep the skin on if you can as it protects the meat. I process all of our meat and have never had a Newbie turn away from my deer steaks. They always come back for more. I agree completely on not cooking past medium. Here is what I do with mine: After they have been aged, I cut out the cuts of meat (specific muscles) that I will use for steaks. I then package and freeze them with the Silver Skin on. After thawing, I remove the silver skin with a filet or boning knife, cut them up, and season with sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dried cilantro, paprika, and whatever else jumps out at me that day. I do this for both sides of the steak. Let sit on the counter for at least 30 minutes to allow the seasonings to work their magic and the steaks to warm to room temp. This keeps them from stiffening up so much when they hit the hot grill. Cook until medium and you will have the best steaks ever. No steak sauce needed.

Now I have to call the kids and tell them to get steaks out for supper!

Cheers.

mrgecko

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never aged a deer on purpose, I have done it on accident when it took me longer to get it processed than I had planned. I may try the ice chest deal next year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom