Air Rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of tree rats invading my neighborhood. Time for them to go. I want a quality made air rifle that's not loud enough to alert the neighbors.

What recommendations do y'all have?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No matter what model you get, you want one that is the most accurate. We bought Gamo's at the power plant before I retired to control the birds that were roosting inside the building. Barrel cockers. Worked great for awhile, but the accuracy went away pretty quick.
The scope is attached to the receiver, and after a few cockings, the barrel linkage gets a little slack into it. Won't hit the side of a barn after that.

RWS makes a side cocker. Is not cheap, but I've seen Viking from this forum hit a bird at 75 yds with it, and its had hundreds of rounds shot through it.

The barrel is mated to the receiver just like a standard rifle, so no chance of slack in some linkage causing problems.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a RWS Model 48 for 16 years and have been really happy with it..Topped it with a Tasco Air Rifle scope and it does a really nice job..Killed my limit of squirrels many times with it and just this last week took 5 rabbits...It'll shoot one of the 22 caliber pellets through a rabbits head with no problem..Like Dennis said it's a side cocker so I don't worry about the barrel movement..Very, very accurate..Get yourself a good one and you'll enjoy it for many years..

Friedspam

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I third the RWS 48, my brother up in Iowa has had one for over ten years, drops crows, tree rats, rabbits, like shooting them with a 22LR.

I had the RWS 45 which was a nice air rifle but a barrel cocker and a .177 also, it will kill but if you want to scope it it's not ideal for the reasons listed above.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
The CCI .22LR Quiets seem quieter than my Benji 392 pumper out of a Ruger 10/22 carbine length or longer barrel.

The Charger, not so much.

I'd recommend the 392, it'll reliably get the job done at a more affordable price, but it isn't the quietest option available by any stretch of the imagination.

Dirty Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a RWS Diana 52 .177 that im about to post for sale. If your interested just send me a PM. I got it from my uncle when he past and im not ever going to use it. I didnt know what section to post it in is the reason I havent put it up for sale yet. I realize your not close but I thought I would offer it up.

Dirty Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 205