AK47; Which one to buy...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one of the older Romanian SAR-1 models. It works great. From what I can tell, they all work; that's why the whole world uses the darn things.

I couldn't tell you what makes one better partswise than the others, other than I guess Arsenals have better finish, but they're awfully proud of them.

Keep in mind, the price range you're looking at can get you into several basic AR-15s if that's what you really want.

I'm more an AK than AR guy, but right now ARs are cheaper than AKs, for the most part; after the whole Sandy Hook fiasco, the mad rush for AR15s prompted manufacturers to produce a metric ton of them, and it has resulted in a glut. If an AR is what you're looking for, now is the time to buy. It likely won't last too much longer.

If you do want an AK, the newer WASRs have a pretty good reputation for the price. I wouldn't turn one down. I would avoid U.S.-made AKs, just from past reputation, and I'm a snob for rifles made in military factories that produce or produced them for their country's armed forces.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm more an AK than AR guy, but right now ARs are cheaper than AKs, for the most part; after the whole Sandy Hook fiasco, the mad rush for AR15s prompted manufacturers to produce a metric ton of them, and it has resulted in a glut. If an AR is what you're looking for, now is the time to buy. It likely won't last too much longer.

If you do want an AK, the newer WASRs have a pretty good reputation for the price. I wouldn't turn one down. I would avoid U.S.-made AKs, just from past reputation, and I'm a snob for rifles made in military factories that produce or produced them for their country's armed forces.

I love AR15s also but AK47 has more knockdown power plus the ammo seems cheaper at the moment that Golden Tiger for 1k rounds on sgammo.com for 235 is looking reallt sweet.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was a die hard AK guy for the longest time but lately ive been drifting more and more in favor of the AR. As mentioned above, now is the time to buy an AR if you want one. Steel cased .223 is about the same price as 7.62x39.

If you just want to have an AK, shootin 4 fun made a good point on the amd 65... $500 at classic firearms right now and not bad guns at all. Put a cheek riser on it from amdtech and call it a day.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned a few AKs. My first was an older wasr-10. It ran great no problems from it. I bought it for $360 new in box. If prices hit that low again I would buy a few more. I have had 2 saigas (12 and .223) worked but did not fulfill my "traditional" AK bug. Had a Galil for a while again in .223, a fun gun but again not Traditional. I have had three and still have currently one Hungarian AMD-65. all of mine were/are 12 inch with 4 inch flash hiders. If you can find one BUY IT!!! if not than the 16 inch variant is still a Fabulous product and price. Last I checked ClassicFirearms.com had them for $500.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a wasr 10 for $ a little over $600 a couple of days ago. I am pleasantly surprised by how nice it is. Of course the finish could get better but I am gonna cerakote it anyway. The action is smooth for being factory and a new gun. I will polish it up and it will be great. The fit is pretty good too. Front sight is a hair canted to the left but not much. You have to really look hard to Notice it. And I have ocd so I notice everything. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Have a few mods to make but so far I am very happy with it. image.jpg

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a wasr 10 for $ a little over $600 a couple of days ago. I am pleasantly surprised by how nice it is. Of course the finish could get better but I am gonna cerakote it anyway. The action is smooth for being factory and a new gun. I will polish it up and it will be great. The fit is pretty good too. Front sight is a hair canted to the left but not much. You have to really look hard to Notice it. And I have ocd so I notice everything. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Have a few mods to make but so far I am very happy with it. View attachment 53572

Nice buy! I am waiting for the Wanenmacher Gun Show on April 9th, if not Iwill check out some gun shops around the Tulsa/BA area. Im really thinking of a DDI or CAI C39V2.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice buy! I am waiting for the Wanenmacher Gun Show on April 9th, if not Iwill check out some gun shops around the Tulsa/BA area. Im really thinking of a DDI or CAI C39V2.
I used to have a c39v1. It was made good but really heavy and it didn't have a cleaning rod and bayonet lug. It just don't look right missing those. But to some it isn't a big deal. Other than that it was nice. But the handguard where it goes into the front of the receiver is made different on the c39. I saw where some handguards wouldn't fit it because of how century made it. For some reason they had to make theirs different. And not in a good way.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But the handguard where it goes into the front of the receiver is made different on the c39. I saw where some handguards wouldn't fit it because of how century made it. For some reason they had to make theirs different. And not in a good way.

Do they not accept the standard milled receiver style HG which is different from stamped?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw a video where rob ski was doing a tabletop and he tried to get a set of handguards with a rail to fit and they wouldn't. He said the receiver was too thick. I think it is just some types of handguards. I don't think they are all that way. I can't remember the brand he was trying. On my old c39 I had Arsenal handguards and they fit but I really had to force them too. And the upper one was very difficult to make fit. I just hit the bottom one with a dead blow hammer and made it fit. Must have been the receiver thickness on the old model too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom