Alfala Hay - Deer Eat it ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just came back from Crested Butte, CO. and every single hay pen up there has a high fence around them to keep the deer out.

Is that for deer or the elk? I thought it was for the elk. I don't know of deer grazing on hay too much. I know they will graze on it in the field, but it still has its moisture content in it.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any first hand knowledge.

A neat book I have on deer, where a guy studied them for years, pictures, etc. a lot of good information, says they usually won't eat it.

Back east in the heart of winder, snow and no food, they undertook a project to bring hay in. The deer would not eat it.

The book also says that hay has no nutrients for deer.

Just what I have read.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have any first hand knowledge.

A neat book I have on deer, where a guy studied them for years, pictures, etc. a lot of good information, says they usually won't eat it.

Back east in the heart of winder, snow and no food, they undertook a project to bring hay in. The deer would not eat it.

The book also says that hay has no nutrients for deer.

Just what I have read.

Hay is to generic of a term. Alfalfa is way higher in protein than any of the common "HAY". Cows would do the same thing. If you put 2 bales out, one of prairie hay and one of Alfalfa, the Alfalfa one will be gone before they even hit the hay one.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hay is to generic of a term. Alfalfa is way higher in protein than any of the common "HAY". Cows would do the same thing. If you put 2 bales out, one of prairie hay and one of Alfalfa, the Alfalfa one will be gone before they even hit the hay one.

True. True.

They eat it. Not so much graze on an alfalfa field, but I have seen them do that too but I am not sure they are eating the alfalfa so much as the other stuff growing in it. Growing alfalfa isn't the tastiest I wouldn't think, but I'm not a deer or cow either.

They mostly "nibble" on the little square bale blocks of alfalfa. But when there is 20 or more deer on a food plot, a block or two of alfalfa goes pretty fast.

Also turkeys enjoy the alfalfa.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im sure something urinated on the alfalfa sometime during its life-cycle but it didn't bother the deer because they destroyed it late season when the snow was on the ground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom