All around rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mini 14 = proprietary parts that when...not if....they break has to be sent back to Ruger who may or may not have the parts for older series rifles I had two extractor break and one firing pin. Mini was gone for months.

M1 carbine = can still get parts, but they are getting expensive, ammo and magazines are hard to find right now. Ammo expensive

AR-15 = ammo still available and fairly reasonable, parts can be found almost everywhere at reasonable prices.
AR-15 = good for killing mice, ugly, plastic.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i forgot about the sks. or an ak47? if you can get an ak47 with a side rail you can get some real good mounts that have rails over the receiver. and even can have a side rail mounted pretty easy. the sks you are limited to open sights pretty much
I had an AK, while I prefer it to the AR, mags and ammo are not cheap and in the 7.62 cal I still prefer the SKS.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe............ However, they certainly seem to strike fear in the politicians!!

So does being held accountable by the people. If an AR is the best offer I get, I would probably take it but really wish for something else. What I need is an M-1 carbine in 357 mag. :P

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
C'mon man! Getcha an AR-15 already and be done with it. :D
Yep!
Killed a dozen deer or so and who knows how many coyotes with that platform with 55 grain bullets. It works.
But then again, have killed deer with .45ACP. and .45 LC pistol rounds that don't carry as much energy. Every round will kill, the operator using that round needs to make sure they are using something they can shoot accurately and will use it within the parameters the round was designed for.
Example, you're not going to shoot a .45 ACP at 100 yards and expect great results. Kept within 20 yards, it will take any deer using the right bullet.
8 million and growing have been killed with the AR platform using small caliber bullets. Nobody needs to be scared of that platform.

Last edited:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
pretty sure you are under estimating the 30 carbine round. somewhere i read the 30 carbine round at 100 yards has the similar power as the 357. i think you want an m1 carbine. i don't blame you i love em too.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my Camp 9, but the mags are to similar to my P89 without being able to used in it. I learned a long time ago your mags either need to fit your pistol and long gun, or be so different you can tell them apart very quickly just be feel.

Not busting your chops Rick.
But magazines that are similar should be a non issue.
You are not hunting in the dark and you are not some preteen fool with his head up his hind end.

You can tell the difference in what magazine goes with which weapon and if you seriously do not know and mess it up you should not be in the woods or at the range with a weapon that fires ammo.

I am pretty sure you are smart enough not to screw things up.
I have met you many times.

Do not get a 30-30 the angle of those things can punish a shoulder.

If you do not have an AR in 5.56 to shoot I can loan you a couple of mine to play with if ya want.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get an AK. All steel and wood, plenty effective/accurate for hunting out to 300 yards. Reliable as all hell, excellent for home defense. Mags and ammo are typically cheaper than ARs, and they’re made to use steel cased ammo, which means they’re reliable when fed the nasty cheap stuff. Huge aftermarket, mine typically kick roughly as much as a 357mag lever gun. Real mild. With the right ammo, you can take just about anything in the state with it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom