All around rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can get a good m1 carbine from fulton and put a rail on it with a scope or red dot. i have one set up with the ultimak rail and really like it. hunting with a 30 carbine isn't a problem. i have killed lots of game with one.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hated the M16 when in the service, still do not like them. Besides, I hate plastic firearms.
I could trade for a Mini 30, but it has a plastic stock and I am wondering it the recoil might be to much.
I've heard of a lot of guys that hated them from their time in the military but tried them again later and enjoyed them.

Nowadays with aluminum free float rails, lots of sights/optics and butt stock choices they can be customized to about any configuration you may want.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rick, I never wanted an AR. They were toys. Cheap gimmicks. Who the fawk actually uses them for anything? But I saw some trading fodder. So I bought a couple of lowers and some complete uppers. Built the lowers and took them out to test fire. Holy **** they were kinda fun. Yeah, awkward at first, but I got used to that. And man, those things can be built as cheap or expensive as you want them. I now own 6, pistols and rifles in various calibers. There is no plastic left on any of them. And I've even converted one to .22LR just for cheaper practice. I've gotta say, give em a chance.
If I could get one with a wood stock I would think about it. :P

Guys I am not looking for a wonder gun. Just a wood stock semi that can be used for defense if needed and could take a whitetail if things got desperate.

I like my Camp 9, but the mags are to similar to my P89 without being able to used in it. I learned a long time ago your mags either need to fit your pistol and long gun, or be so different you can tell them apart very quickly just be feel. That is why I was trying to trade for a pistol that used the same mags as my camp 9, or a carbine that used the same as my P89. No luck either way so I need something that uses a very different mag like a mini 14 or at least a M1 carbine.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I could get one with a wood stock I would think about it. :P

Guys I am not looking for a wonder gun. Just a wood stock semi that can be used for defense if needed and could take a whitetail if things got desperate.

I like my Camp 9, but the mags are to similar to my P89 without being able to used in it. I learned a long time ago your mags either need to fit your pistol and long gun, or be so different you can tell them apart very quickly just be feel. That is why I was trying to trade for a pistol that used the same mags as my camp 9, or a carbine that used the same as my P89. No luck either way so I need something that uses a very different mag like a mini 14 or at least a M1 carbine.
i am a steel and wood guy also but in reality the ar 15 fits your needs the best. cheaper more accurate low recoil and about as many accessories as you can dream of.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i am a steel and wood guy also but in reality the ar 15 fits your needs the best. cheaper more accurate low recoil and about as many accessories as you can dream of.
:crying: :crying: :crying:

I really do not want to hear that. I might accept it but it is my last choice and someone would have to make a really serious trade offer. Good rifle with at least 6 mags and a good supply of ammo. A wood stock Mini 14 would be a couple fewer mags and some ammo. :P

There has got to be something else. Maybe an SKS D but I worry about recoil. I guess I could learn to shoot left hand more.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i forgot about the sks. or an ak47? if you can get an ak47 with a side rail you can get some real good mounts that have rails over the receiver. and even can have a side rail mounted pretty easy. the sks you are limited to open sights pretty much

Sted-E Ed-E

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
C’mon guys let’s clean out our parts bins and get Rick an AR built! I have a collapsible buttstock and buffer assembly I’d donate.
i forgot about the sks. or an ak47? if you can get an ak47 with a side rail you can get some real good mounts that have rails over the receiver. and even can have a side rail mounted pretty easy. the sks you are limited to open sights pretty much
an ak74 variant would be good I think my tantal has less recoil than my ARs…

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Mini 14 = proprietary parts that when...not if....they break has to be sent back to Ruger who may or may not have the parts for older series rifles I had two extractor break and one firing pin. Mini was gone for months.

M1 carbine = can still get parts, but they are getting expensive, ammo and magazines are hard to find right now. Ammo expensive

AR-15 = ammo still available and fairly reasonable, parts can be found almost everywhere at reasonable prices.

Latest posts

Top Bottom