Almost got eaten by an owl today!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went calling for bobcat today in the snow. Everything is black and white in the trees and I was wearing ASAT coveralls with a white bath towel over me. I was using a squeaker with a bulb that came out of a dog toy that give a high mouse like squeak. After calling for a short while, I noticed two owls fly in from the same direction and land in two different trees. When I started calling again, one of the owls could see my hand moving and flew off the way he came. I couldn't see the second one as well as he had more branches between us.

I heard some noise and was watching down the trail and it turned out to be snow dropping off some branches. When I turned and looked over towards the remaining owl, he was about 5 TO 7 FEET FROM ME IN THE AIR WITH HIS WINGS STRETCHED OUT. I thought a pterodactyl was about to eat me. I threw my gun up to block him and he turned on a dime. I don't think I scared him as bad as he scared me. I damn near sh*t my pants.

I've heard of a deer hunter losing an eye to an owl or a hawk once. Two more seconds and I might have been lunch for the rest of winter.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a similar experience calling ducks while hiding behind the dam of a manmade pond. Couldn't draw the ducks in, but when I peered over the top of the dam, there was a hawk about 8 or ten feet away, wings outstretched and talons bared. That'll stop your heart!

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad youre ok. With that said,I almost crapped my own britches laughing so hard at your story. Glad you didnt get eaten though. I surely would have had a heart attack my self.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your a lucky man that you weren't eaten by that owl:D:D
there have been some really funny and amazing stories tonight in the hunting/fishing forum. Is it the full moon or global warming causing all of these????:D:D

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure glad you're OK but I'm going to be sore in the morning from laughing! That's great. We have a few owls in our neighborhood and my wife and I were coming home one night around 11:00 and turned the corner to see a huge one on a mail box. I don't know who's eyes were bigger but I stopped and he flew to the top of the house. Not what we expected.
Again, glad you weren't turned into and owl pellet.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend that did a lot of night calling in the old days and he always wore a big cowboy hat for that reason. He had one hit him in the head in the dark once. I have had them swoop in on me several times but never hit me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom